FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Ken burns but then keeping the ending crop

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Pegoraro
Using Ken burns but then keeping the ending crop
on Mar 7, 2018 at 10:00:22 am

Guys, have tried googling and figuring it out myself but no luck.
On many of my vid clips where I talk to camera I like to have an initial zoom in over 10-15 secs for which I can use te Ken burns effect.. however as soon as that’s done the clip reverts back to original size.. of course it can be manually cropped to the same size it ended up with the Ken burns but it’s really fiddly and time consuming to get right. There must be a way to retain the ending crop size for the rest of the video clip?? Without further movement on the Ken Burns ?

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: Using Ken burns but then keeping the ending crop
on Mar 7, 2018 at 6:35:55 pm

Although this can be done with Ken Burns, it's not the fastest way. Instead of Ken Burns, use the Crop > Crop function.

1. Put your playhead where you want the zoom to start, press SHIFT+C, then select Crop in the Viewer and add a keyframe.

2. Put your playhead where you want the zoom to end and drag the Crop overlay in the Viewer to the desired end position and framing. Then press Return.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

William Davis
on Mar 7, 2018 at 8:13:30 pm

Cool technique Ronny! Thanks.

I'm assuming there's no way to add an ease in/ease out to this keyframed crop?

Bill

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 7, 2018 at 9:24:20 pm

[William Davis] "I'm assuming there's no way to add an ease in/ease out to this keyframed crop?"

This is why I made my own Motion Template. Drop your photo in the timeline. Set Spatial Conform to "Fill" and then put this effect template on it. You can also stack these to do compound moves. Like a crash zoom out, stacked on a slow move in.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5iiuqsjirvp34pz/Bretts%20Pan%20and%20Zoom.zip?dl=...

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Mar 8, 2018 at 5:56:51 am

[William Davis] "I'm assuming there's no way to add an ease in/ease out to this keyframed crop?"

Nope, not on the Crop function. If you want smooth In and Out, use Transform instead. It's the same process:

1. Put your playhead where you want the zoom to start, press SHIFT+T and add a keyframe in the Viewer.
2. Put your playhead where you want the zoom to end and drag the overlay in the Viewer to the desired end position and framing. Then press Return.

If you have changed Scale and Position, the animation will automatically smooth In and Out. If the animation does not smooth in or out, press SHIFT+T again and R-click the keyframe points in the Viewer to change the interpolation.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]