FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which text generator in FCP X builds titles from the bottom upwards and centers left-aligned titles according to the longest line?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonore Verster
Which text generator in FCP X builds titles from the bottom upwards and centers left-aligned titles according to the longest line?
on Mar 4, 2018 at 4:50:25 pm

We have searched through all possibilities in FCP X to find a title generator that allows for the following:
1. Titles that are bottom-aligned AND that build from the bottom up. First line sits at the bottom of the screen, and only moves one line higher if a second line is added.
2. Titles that left-align double-speak (those titles with dashes that indicate that we are dealing with 2 speakers), and while aligning both dashes on the left-hand side, the whole title is centered according to the longest line:

3. Titles are placed directly on the picture without a shadow or gradient.

In EZ Titles, this happens automatically. We can manually lef-align subtitles where 2 people are talking, but in FCP this takes the titles way off centre and most off the screen.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Which text generator in FCP X builds titles from the bottom upwards and centers left-aligned titles according to the longest line?
on Mar 5, 2018 at 7:09:46 pm

You might be a bit stuck thinking in a specific process you used to employ.

Do you really need a specific "tool" for this? X can make this pretty easy using just it's native tools.

Just create a regular text title which is left aligned and formatted as you like for font, size, etc. Place it on your storyline and adjust it into the position you want your single titles to originate. Stretch this out the ENTIRE Length of your project.
Delete any temp text you might have used to create this. (Your goal is clean slugs without any content in case you want a space without any title later.)
Watch your film and BLADE this empty title holder into TITLE SLUGS that match where you want the captions to change. These will be your "baseline slugs."
Go to the first slug and type in a temp title.
Duplicate it (Option Drag) it into position above the first title. Use this to set the position of the second tier of titles. Copy Attributes for it's position. Delete the text to get a blank slug again.
(If you want THREE tier stacks, or more, just repeat as needed.)
Now Select ALL the empty baseline slugs - and option drag a second copy of them all above the first as connected clips.
Select all the second title string clips and Paste Attributes (position) to lock blank text slugs above the originals.
Now just double click each and type in your copy as needed.

This whole setup process should just take just a few minutes.

Now just type in your titles as needed.

Pro tip: If you don't want to mouse around to type in your copy lines - use your timeline index. You can just arrow down and type everything in the TI as you need.

There are other ways to accomplish this stuff via outside programs like word processors and/or database approaches like Filemaker Pro - but unless you need tons of special tools - this is pretty easy and requires nothing else past what's already built into X.

FWIW.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Which text generator in FCP X builds titles from the bottom upwards and centers left-aligned titles according to the longest line?
on Mar 5, 2018 at 8:52:37 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Mar 5, 2018 at 8:53:52 pm

Go back and re-read the post. They are asking about subtitles (open captions), which is a very specific requirement.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 6, 2018 at 4:06:19 pm

Maybe this?

http://www.subvertapp.com

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Leonore Verster
on Mar 6, 2018 at 6:41:53 pm

Thank you - this is looking promising. We will try this over the next couple of days.
Much appreciated!

Leonore

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Mar 6, 2018 at 7:05:36 pm

Ah,
now I understand what you mean.
This is really ugly IMHO, and I've never seen it...
I would not bother and convince the rest that all centered is the 'normal' way of doing stuff.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Mar 7, 2018 at 3:03:40 pm

This formatting had been used quite often and still is in use. But with the usage of proportional fonts it's more ore less not supported anymore.

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Leonore Verster
on Mar 7, 2018 at 5:13:38 pm

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 8, 2018 at 1:39:51 am

I think you could accomplish this with a Motion template. The sliding up part at least. Centering you'd have to do manually as there is no way to get one title in FCP X to communicate with another title. I made a quick and dirty one that will slide up everything under the title. You'd have to stack your titles, then to keep it from sliding up the video, you'd have to compound all the subtitles together.

You can download it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/45vgwlw1f7pvevg/Bretts%20Subtitle%20Push%20Up.zip...

Here is how you stack your titles:

Then you have to compound it to keep it from affecting video below titles:

Hope this helps.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Mar 8, 2018 at 10:36:45 am

[Brett Sherman]I think you could accomplish this with a Motion template ...

Probably not with "plain vanilla" Motion tools. You'll need some fxPlug programming knowledge.

Leonora wants to do subtitling. For subs screen is divided into 9 regions, each 3 for Top, Center, Bottom. Those might overlap depending on allowed lines and font size.
Horizontally each of those 3 regions will overlap calculated by font size and allowed count of letters letters.
All of the 9 regions do have an horizontal alignment and "text build" (top, bottom, center) setting.

If those region would be numbered 1-9 (from left to right and up down) Leonora asks for a region 8, left-aligned and "displayed-after" setting.

In Motion you can only get parts of those needed values automatically.

Manual fine tune is not really an option with subtitling - we are talking about hundred, thousand and more "clips".

- Andreas

P.S.
In FCP 1-7 you can do that with fxScript :-)

Spherico

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 8, 2018 at 1:14:25 pm
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Mar 8, 2018 at 1:25:04 pm

Agreed. Depends on the usage. my template would work for a 3 minute video, but not for a 30 minute show. There are tons of manual open-captioned videos posted on Facebook everyday. In fact, whenever you see open captions on FB I pretty much guarantee they were done manually.

I know how to do .srt import (with your utility), but honestly it's less time consuming to manually open-caption for a short video, so that's what I typically do.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Mar 10, 2018 at 12:50:49 am

Brett I really like your template. Real cool text thing!!!
But kind of overkill and "useless" for subtitles.
If you need something like "bottom upwards" for subtitling just click the "bottom align" for vertical alignment of the text box settings.

Again no offence. This effect is really cool, add a shift down, left and right.

Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index

Leonore Verster
on Mar 10, 2018 at 7:03:39 am

One of the FCP X templates for subtitles - Lower Third Information Bar - does build from the bottom up. If I only use line two, and press Enter, the first line moves up, and the second line remains at the bottom. It is possible to center both lines. I would've used this if I'd know how to get rid of the gradient shadow that's still on the left-hand side of the screen. We use borders and drop shadows, so they do not want that "shadow" or black bar behind the subtitles (though I think it makes it easier to read).
I tried various settings, but I cannot find a way to get rid of that bar.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Mar 10, 2018 at 10:10:27 am

A mentioned in the other thread to download my TextUp.
I does what you want - except the centered-left align.
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/TitleExchange/Plugins/TextUp.dmg

Spherico

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]