FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best plugin to "relight" flat or bad existing light footage in documentary

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
keith mann
Best plugin to "relight" flat or bad existing light footage in documentary
on Mar 2, 2018 at 5:09:02 pm

I have a ton of complete amateur, existing light, iPhone 4k that we want to use in a documentary. Talking heads. Its often either under or over exposed, flat, or exposed for the background (talent is under or over.) Is there an app that I can "re-light" the scene? I know Magic Bullet has a "face light" and "vignette." Specifically wondering if something would let me I could simulate a key light at a 45' angle?

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
Re: Best plugin to "relight" flat or bad existing light footage in documentary
on Mar 2, 2018 at 5:12:55 pm

You can do it with FCP X's built in color correction tools. Make an oval mask around the subject. Then expand the contrast inside the oval, bring up the brights, and outside the oval make it darker. It makes your subject pop a bit.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Mar 2, 2018 at 7:55:40 pm

You can definitely do it with Final Cut’s colour and masking tools but personally I’d do it in Davinci Resolve where you have far more options and have a better chance of making it look convincing - if you can. I’ve tried this a few times and maybe I’m too fussy but I’d rate my results as mediocre at best.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 3, 2018 at 11:29:32 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Mar 3, 2018 at 11:53:01 pm

to paint with light in post-production:

1. apply the mid contrast with duplicate overlay, blending to let shadows through.
2. apply curves with mask for fill light.50% opacity
3. for key light, adjustment layer-saturation at 0 set to color dodge.(acts like a fresnel) 20% opacity
4. finally, bring back color modeling with levels-white output set to color. opacity 20%

if you do these steps in this exact order, you will have very natural looking lighting. most people don't do these steps and simply raise gamma, making everything look unnatural.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Mar 4, 2018 at 1:55:43 pm

Your list for treating footage was quite specific and interesting. Since I shoot quite a bit, I rarely find myself in a position of having to rescue clips that were poorly lit or shot. THat said I am intrigued by what the results of your prescription for treating footage might look like. Have you got any before - after examples you could share? I’m really intrerested in seeing what kind of results you get.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 4, 2018 at 3:19:11 pm

12224_light.png.zip

Return to posts index

keith mann
on Mar 6, 2018 at 6:22:17 pm

Thank you all. Chris, very interesting, cannot wait to try your technique.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]