Delete library clips and source media from within FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mathew Farrell
Delete library clips and source media from within FCPX
on Mar 2, 2018 at 6:28:47 am
Last Edited By Mathew Farrell on Mar 2, 2018 at 6:29:25 am

Hi folks,

Is there a way to delete clips from an FCPX library and deliberately delete the source clips as well?
My scenario is: Copy a pile of folders from a different job; import those folders into an FCPX library; scan through the newly imported rushes in FCPX, deleting the irrelevant material, getting rid of the source media at the same time.

I appreciate this isn't the standard workflow, but this is a scenario where I'm very happy to trash redundant copies of media.

Has anyone got an FCPX workflow for this?
An obvious alternative would be to screen the rushes before import. While we're on that topic, what DAM software and methods are people using for this kind of sorting work and managing video libraries (in the tradition, non-stupid FCPX sense of the word)?

Mathew Farrell
flowstate.com.au

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Delete library clips and source media from within FCPX
on Mar 2, 2018 at 7:50:01 pm

The short answer is no. I’m not sure any NLE is going to delete source media from the hard drive in that situation.

If you’re using a managed library then FCPX will delete the original media from that library as the media in the library is, in theory, a copy of files from somewhere else. If you’re using external media then FCPX will delete it’s internal reference to the media but not the source media itself as it could be shared across multiple projects.

My approach is generally to bring in the clips, do my selections, then media manage those selections to a new folder/drive. Then delete the source material in the Finder.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Mathew Farrell
on Mar 2, 2018 at 8:35:59 pm

Cheers mate. For clarity, do you mean you'd make your selections of say the camera originals in FCPX, then consolidate that selected media, copying it (via FCPX) to the new, working location?

Mathew Farrell
flowstate.com.au

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Mar 2, 2018 at 10:47:25 pm

Hard drive space is cheap so I personally never delete any media but I worked on a project a couple of years ago where I got all the media and just the selects were shipped to Sydney for editing so that's how I did it. Bring everything in, favourite the good stuff, drop all the favourites onto a timeline, and consolidate just that timeline to a new location.

If I needed to trim the clips as well, I round tripped to Worx4 X or Resolve and let them manage the media but mostly I was just cutting away the obviously unusable shots or shots of the sky or people's feet, etc so no trimming required.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]