FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Automator and AppleScript to automatically change an angle of a multicam clip every n seconds - how?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Artur Babich
Using Automator and AppleScript to automatically change an angle of a multicam clip every n seconds - how?
on Feb 28, 2018 at 11:46:19 am

I have 1 hour long multicam clip (2 cameras, 1 audio) that i'm not going to fully watch but i need to change camera every 15 and 30 seconds (first camera is on for 30 seconds, then second camera is on for 15 seconds - and so on till the end). How can i make a script to do this work automatically?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Using Automator and AppleScript to automatically change an angle of a multicam clip every n seconds - how?
on Mar 1, 2018 at 2:16:41 am

FCPX isn't scriptable so I don't think there's any way to automate this within FCPX.

The only thing that comes to mind is that if you grab a keyboard macro app, you might be able to set up some keyboard macros to jump 15 seconds then switch to angle 1 and another to jump 30 seconds then switch to angle 2, then another macro to repeatedly alternate the first two until the end.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Serj Kasparoff
Re: Using Automator and AppleScript to automatically change an angle of a multicam clip every n seconds - how?
on Jul 26, 2018 at 11:19:22 pm

Artur, tell us, please, how you've done it as a result?

Return to posts index

Artur Babich
on Jul 27, 2018 at 5:11:11 am

I wrote a script using AppleScript in Automator (Service gets no input data in Final Cut Pro).

on run {input, parameters}

tell application "System Events"
tell process "Final Cut Pro"
delay 3
key code 123 using {control down, command down}
repeat 80 times
delay 1
keystroke "+"
set textToType to "30."
keystroke textToType
keystroke return
keystroke "2"
keystroke "+"
set textToType to "15."
keystroke textToType
keystroke return
keystroke "1"
end repeat
end tell
end tell
return input
end run

This script simulates my hotkeys: it chooses first cam, then after 30 seconds - second cam, then after 15 seconds - first cam and repeats for 80 times which equals 60 minutes.
I run service in final cut services and then just wait for it to finish.

Return to posts index

Serj Kasparoff
on Jul 27, 2018 at 5:17:45 pm

Wow, it's impressive. Didn't know FCPX can be scriptable.
Thanks for your example!

Can you tell me, is it possible to do a script for a drop-down menu?
I need to change multicam properties for a thousand clips, but the "Modify" button in the inspector disappears when selecting more than one clip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]