FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does C-Log from a C100 Mkii need to be transcoded?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey Longden
Does C-Log from a C100 Mkii need to be transcoded?
on Feb 19, 2018 at 11:23:47 am
Last Edited By Casey Longden on Feb 19, 2018 at 11:24:23 am

Hi,

I have some MP4 files outputted from a C100 Mkii that were filmed using C-Log.

Trying to keep it simple:

Do those files need transcoding in FCPX before using LUTs? If so, what's the reason and if not, why not?

Thanks in advance,

Case

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
Re: Does C-Log from a C100 Mkii need to be transcoded?
on Feb 19, 2018 at 3:18:33 pm

No it does not. Just make sure in your clip information it is being interpreted as C-Log. The only reason to transcode is improved editing performance at a cost of increased storage space and time to transcode. I have found the trade-off not worth it. In no situation will transcoding actually improve image quality.

Largely I've switched to WideDR from C-Log. But when I shot occasionally in C-Log I found I often would rather control the exposure curve without interpreting as C-Log. Unless you're really careful shooting it is easy to "over-expose" C-Log and get crushed highlights when applying the C-Log setting.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Casey Longden
on Feb 19, 2018 at 5:33:10 pm

Thanks Brett, appreciate you taking the time to respond.

We are lucky enough to be using decent computers so editing performance isn't an issue and we're good for storage space too so I'll be giving transcoding a miss from now on.

I had in mind that transcoded footage gave you increased speed when using effects, retimes etc. and that you had more 'room' in the footage for grading although I can't remember my original source for that info nor can I find any additional evidence (which is why I asked the question, I guess).

As for using WideDR, we have done that using a C300 in the past and, workflow-wise, found it to be far simpler and quicker. Considering what we are talking about here is just talking heads, I think C-Log was probably overkill.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Feb 20, 2018 at 12:31:26 pm

[Casey Longden] "I had in mind that transcoded footage gave you increased speed when using effects, retimes etc. and that you had more 'room' in the footage for grading although I can't remember my original source for that info nor can I find any additional evidence (which is why I asked the question, I guess)."

ProRes (or optimized media) can give improved speed when using certain effects. However you may not need that. Your C100 Mk II footage is "only" 1080p H264, which is quick to edit on almost anything.

Re transcoding to ProRes giving more latitude in post, FCPX is always editing ProRes anyway, regardless of the source codec. When you create a project and pick "Use Custom Settings" or modify an existing project, you are given the option of selecting what *type* of ProRes, plus the option of Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2. But it's always internally rendering to one of those, whether the source material is H264 or whatever. It is not using an H264 buffer or intermediate scratch file -- if it were, the more edit passes you made the worse the image would become.

Thus I don't see the argument that transcoding all source material to ProRes gives more color grading latitude. Maybe the people who say that are mixing up ProRes *acquisition* with transcoding in the NLE. On some cameras that can acquire in ProRes (whether internal or external) it may record greater bit depth, higher bit rate, or better chroma sampling. In those cases it could give better latitude in editing but that's not because it was transcoded from H264 within the NLE.

Return to posts index

Casey Longden
on Feb 20, 2018 at 1:30:13 pm

Thanks Joe,

Really useful info there. The path to freedom from transcoding lays right ahead 😉

C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]