FORUMS: list search recent posts

iPhone X and FCPX workflow—HEVC or .MOV?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Hadley
iPhone X and FCPX workflow—HEVC or .MOV?
on Feb 16, 2018 at 12:10:57 pm

Hey Folks:

Have a project coming up that will incorporate some iPhone X footage. Delivery is 1080 HD for the web.

Assuming we should request iPhone set to record 4K, so we can scale shots in the edit. Beyond that, questions are:

Is there an advantage to capturing in HEVC? And if so, ingesting the straight HEVC as is or should we transcode to Pro Res before ingest?

Or, should we request iPhone X capture to "most compatible," which would be H.264 .MOV? And then transcode to Pro Res before ingest?

Big picture, my understanding is that HEVC is a "smaller/lighter" size file format--but from a quality standpoint, is it better? And if so, is it worth working with the native files until export?

Thanks for your input!

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: iPhone X and FCPX workflow—HEVC or .MOV?
on Feb 16, 2018 at 4:56:49 pm

HEVC only works in OS X 10.3.X. I think FCPX will transcode to ProRes as that is its flavor of choice.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Feb 16, 2018 at 9:40:22 pm

I was able to work on the native HEVC files without transcribing to pro res.

My question is really: is there an image quality boost with HEVC vs H.264? Or is the benefit solely the smaller file size....

Return to posts index

Fred Turner
on Apr 9, 2018 at 9:31:03 pm

To try to belatedly answer your last question: it is my understanding that HEVC primarily yields equivalent quality at lower data rate (and therefore smaller file size) than H.264. But the flip side of that is that you should be able to increase the quality/fidelity of your compressed footage if you give an HEVC stream/file the same data rate as you might have used for H.264.

Hope this helps,
Fred

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]