FORUMS: list search recent posts

Horizontal Lines Issues With Final Cut X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Guiles
Horizontal Lines Issues With Final Cut X
on Feb 15, 2018 at 4:34:51 am

Here's a link to a picture of my footage and the issue I'm having.

when I look at the data on the clip it says the codec is "avc1 linear pcm" file type "quicktime".
I shot this on the Canon Xa10.
I'm in Final Cut X 10.3.4
Project is set to 1080iHD, 1920x1080, 29.97i
macos 10.13 high sierra
mcabook pro 15inch 2017, 2.9ghz core i7

I went through this once with one of the people at the Final Cut X support line via Apple (can't find the number).
It wasn't easy to figure out as I recall. And, granted, I'm new to FCX.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I'm a teacher.
I'm a musician.
I'm a guy who messes around with videography.

Return to posts index

Steve Guiles
Re: Horizontal Lines Issues With Final Cut X
on Feb 15, 2018 at 4:45:00 am

Also, I tried the deinterlace option, but it doesn't do much. It changes slightly.
It blurs it just a little, but it still doesn't look good.

I was outside on a nice day (cloudy even) and using the automatic camera settings.

I'm a teacher.
I'm a musician.
I'm a guy who messes around with videography.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Feb 15, 2018 at 2:12:39 pm

[Steve Guiles] " I tried the deinterlace option, but it doesn't do much. It changes slightly.
It blurs it just a little, but it still doesn't look good. "

I think the XA10 if set to 60i produces interlaced output, and in "PF30" mode produces PsF (Progressive Segmented Frame):https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_segmented_frame

By default FCPX 10.3.4 will create an interlaced project if the first clip added is interlaced. I don't remember how it handles PsF, since I haven't shot that for five years. But in general for an interlaced project the rendered, encoded output will also be interlaced, and the assumption is (like NTSC TV or DVDs) that the playback device will deinterlace.

If you apply deinterlacing within FCPX to an interlaced project it does nothing because by definition it must be interlaced -- at least that was the interpretation on 10.3.4. I think they changed the behavior on 10.4 so the deinterlace filter works on an interlaced project (at least for MXF) but I haven't tested this extensively.

If you want it "hard deinterlaced", you put that in a 1080p project, then apply deinterlacing in the FCPX inspector. Then when you render & export, the output will be deinterlaced.

If hard deinterlacing is improperly done, it's then "baked in". With some codecs if you put interlaced content in an FCPX progressive project, then *don't* deinterlace, the encoded output may have every other line discarded (with some codecs). Normally Youtube will deinterlace upon upload, but you often see interlaced Youtube content which was apparently processed improperly before upload, which locked in interlacing artifacts.

When dealing with interlaced content it's often difficult to trust what you are seeing. Different playback methods handle it various ways. Quicktime Player 10 automatically deinterlaces under some conditions based on the video header. VLC by default does not deinterlace but has various optional deinterlace modes. QT7 only deinterlaces if enabled in Window>Movie Properties>Video Track>Visual Settings.

I think the Viewer playback logic in FCPX is similar to QT Player 10, so you can't always trust what you're seeing. Sometimes it appears to visually deinterlace for viewing (regardless of the project) and other times it doesn't.

For this reason it's often good to verify the media file characteristics before import and after export using a tool like MediaInfo or Invisor. Invisor can display multiple files in a spreadsheet-like grid, side-by-side.

Since VLC allows explicit control over deinterlacing, that's also an option but you are making a visual judgment not examining the video file header.

MediaInfo for Mac: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download/Mac_OS
Invisor: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/invisor-media-file-inspector/id442947586?mt...

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 18, 2018 at 9:17:52 pm

What are we looking at in that picture?
  • A screen capture of the FCP X Preview window?
  • A screen capture of the source footage in QuickTime player?
  • A screen capture of the final render in some player?
How are you ingesting the footage? (i.e., what is you workflow from camera to hard drive?)

The Canon XA10 shoots interlaced AVCHD footage. I edit interlace AVCHD all the time and I have never seen the interlacing. I don't do anything special. I drop the footage in FCP X and it shows up fine on the preview. Then I render to my final format which is usually progressive H.264. No issues at all. I never have to manual deinterlace (shouldn't be needed).

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]