FORUMS: list search recent posts

Streaming capture in FCP X 10?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
Streaming capture in FCP X 10?
on Feb 9, 2018 at 6:51:31 pm

Hi,

I have an old JVC deck with inputs and a 1394 bi-directional I/O that allows me to capture VHS tapes that I play through the JVC device. It works on FCP 7. If I get a FW to thunderbolt or USB 3 adapter cable, will FCP X 10.4 recognize the JVC device as a camera and allow me to stream the VHS video and audio into FCP X?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Streaming capture in FCP X 10?
on Feb 9, 2018 at 8:31:37 pm

Haven’t done a FireWire VHS transfer in years but a Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter used to work fine with my old FireWire I/O box and FCPX still officially supports tape based FireWire input it so it should still be ok.

Apple’s support document:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12743?locale=en_AU

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 9, 2018 at 11:57:39 pm

Thanks Jeff,

Yeah, I still get the occasional request for VHS to something digital. I setup a YouTube channel for a client that has a big playlist of videotaped recordings of Black Gospel performances for groups in Baltimore. My client comes in from time to time with a shopping bag full of VHS tapes.

I have an older Mac with FCP 7 that works with the JVC box I have, but I'd like to keep the older mac out in the pasture.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Feb 10, 2018 at 7:08:22 pm

The plan of playing a VHS through a deck that has firewire interface to you FCPX machine should work. I have done something similar with a JVC combo deck that was VHS and Mini DV and also my DSR 20. You’ll need a TB to firewire adapter, which will be 1394-800 and then a 1394 -800 cable to 1394- 400 cable with the proper 400 side of the cable to interface with your machine. All these cables exist, I have bought some recently, though you’ll likely need to order from an on line source. Once you connect your computer running FCPX to the deck, the deck should show up as a source in the import window.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 11, 2018 at 3:04:11 pm

Thanks Mark,

I know it works in FCP 7, but there was a "capture" command in the menu. FCP X does not have that and I was concerned that they might have written that feature out of the code.

My biggest problem now is getting from FW 400 or 800 to USB 3 or Thunderbolt 3. There a lovely dock for $299 that has a FW 800 port. The only other fix seems to be a FW 800 to an Apple thunderbolt 2, then a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter and then into the mac. That's a pretty clunky connection.

Why Apple doesn't have a Fw to Thunderbolt 3 adapter, I don't know. Is thunderbolt 3 that new?

What would you do?

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Feb 11, 2018 at 3:16:42 pm

My short answer to your question about why no TB3 to FW800 connection is that FW800 is ancient history. I think your best shot is a TB to break out box with FW800 or the clunky adapter chain, or find an 2012- 2013 Macbook pro because those still had FW800 connectors built in, then run your capture scheme off of that CPU.

I haven’t tested this yet, but I think if I fed my DSR 20 a standard def signal while connected to to my iMac with FW, I would see that signal feed the deck come through to the Import window in FCPX and I could grab it there. Not sure I can actually test this as I don’t think I have a standard def signal source in my pile of disused gear.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 13, 2018 at 10:09:58 pm

Hey,

Thanks all. Here's what happened. Looking closely at the adapters. There's a TB 2 to TB 3 adapter and a FW to TB adapter. BUT, that TB is TB 1 and the people at the local Apple store said it wouldn't work with the other adapter. That left me with one choice - a dock with Thuinderbolt 3 and an 800 FW port. Based on my shopping research, I chose the OWC 13 port Thunderbolt 3 Dock. (Link Below) It has an 800 port and a lot more than I could imagine I'd need, but you know how that goes. I'll probably find use for them tomorrow.

https://tinyurl.com/y92w237w

I took the doc out of the box, placed it on the table, used the included Thunderbolt 3 cable to connect it to my new iMac Pro. Plugged in the 800 FW cable to the JVC SR-DVM700 and plugged the other end into the dock. Powered up the dock and started FCP X. When I went to the import window on FCP X, there was the JVC waiting for me. I hit play on the external VHS player into the JVC and BOOM , all good.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Harold Brown
on Feb 14, 2018 at 10:54:34 pm

Thanks for the information and follow-up.

Harold

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]