FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keyboard shortcut for 'Add a new keyframe at the playhead'?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Thomas
Keyboard shortcut for 'Add a new keyframe at the playhead'?
on Feb 5, 2018 at 8:36:47 am

Hi - is there a keyboard shortcut for "Add a new keyframe at the playhead"? That's the button that appears at the top left hand corner of the viewer pane when "Transform" (bottom left) has been pressed. Many thanks!

FCPX and PPro 6. iMac 24 + MBP 15". Near Geneva, Switzerland

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Keyboard shortcut for 'Add a new keyframe at the playhead'?
on Feb 5, 2018 at 5:50:03 pm

Option-k will: "Add a keyframe to the selected effect in the Video Animation or Audio Animation Editor:

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on Feb 6, 2018 at 8:54:04 am

That's strange - that doesn't work for me with my 16 GB, Mid 2015 Macbook Pro running macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 and FCPX 10.4.

I'd really appreciate it if you could please confirm that you have actually achieved this* on your machine(s).

For me Option-K only inserts a keyframe in the audio, something I've been doing for years.

The thought occurred to me that if I detached the audio from a particular clip then FCPX would be forced to do what I have in mind and show up in "Show Video Animation" but no sign of anything. Anybody any idea what I am doing wrong?

*a keyboard shortcut which will insert keyframes at the current position in a selected clip for the "Transform" elements. If it helps I'm usually only interested in the Position and Scale (All) parts of "Transform"

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 6, 2018 at 4:08:12 pm

You have to open the video animation area (control-v) and select the parameter you'd like to add a keyframe to.

It's pretty easy.

Although, it's also easy to simply add one keyframe, then move down the timeline, and make an adjustment with the transform tool, which automatically adds another keyframe to the parameters you adjusted.

Make sense?

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on Feb 7, 2018 at 4:19:29 pm

Thanks for the reply Jeremy. Actually I do know it's pretty easy to add keyframes and in fact I do it all the time. I video a lot of amateur shows etc and apart from my manned camcorders(s) I typically have five or more static, unattended camcorders in different places in the hall/theatre. In post I make lots of subtle changes to the scale and position parameters for these static camcorders to give the impression that they are not actually unattended.

I appreciate your suggestion of:

- click on clip followed by
- ctrl-v and then
- click on Transform and finally
- Option-k

As you point out, this will certainly set the first keyframe however, with my situation in mind what I was hoping to discover was something like:

- click on clip followed by
- a keyboard shortcut to set a keyframe at the current position for all the "Transform" parameters in the same way as Option-k (at this point) sets a keyframe for the audio without any further keystrokes or mouse movement required.

This would save me lots of effort for the many manipulations I am currently making to achieve my objective.

But it looks like I'm out of luck for the time being. Oh well, I can always make a feature request...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 7, 2018 at 5:16:22 pm

[Brian Thomas] " Oh well, I can always make a feature request...
"

Yes, currently there isn't a command to exclusively "Add keyframe to all transform points at playhead".

Another way to do this is to press shift-t to enter the transform mode (or right click the Viewer and choose "Transform" from the drop down) and then hit the add keyframe button in the Viewer HUD. Then move down the timeline and make your adjustment in the transform window (or inspector).

Select the arrow tool to get out of Transform mode (or click "Done", or right click in the viewer and choose "None").

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on Feb 12, 2018 at 11:17:10 am

Sorry, been totally diverted into other areas. Many thanks for your suggestions Jeremy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]