FORUMS: list search recent posts

XML Limitations?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Greene
XML Limitations?
on Jan 30, 2018 at 5:14:18 pm

I have three editors cutting different sections of a documentary and need to hand projects and compound clips back and forth. We have been using temporary Libraries to "transfer" these to one another, but are wondering about XMLs.

Are there limitations to XMLs that I should be aware of? Effects? Transitions? Color?

Chad Greene : Mahoney Media : Minneapolis, Minnesota : 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.11 FCPX, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: XML Limitations?
on Jan 31, 2018 at 5:13:42 pm

Most of it should transfer. Some motion templates will not, so depending on how many effects you have, they might not be as accurate as a transfer library.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Jan 31, 2018 at 6:58:52 pm

Ya, I discovered that late last night. Some of my custom text generators lost their keyframes.

I also discovered that importing a project xml into an empty library makes the proxies go offline which is a big deal for us.

Ultimately I have decided that I can't trust the XML for heavily edited projects. But they are great for events and simpler handoffs.

Chad Greene : Mahoney Media : Minneapolis, Minnesota : 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.11 FCPX, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jan 31, 2018 at 6:04:33 pm

[Chad Greene] "I have three editors cutting different sections of a documentary and need to hand projects and compound clips back and forth. We have been using temporary Libraries to "transfer" these to one another, but are wondering about XMLs. "

You can do that. However if the media filename paths differ, relink may be required. If you are using proxies, relink can be problematic, especially if the disk volume name differs between systems.

I have seen cases on large libraries where loading a project XML may create spurious duplicate clips. This is on 10.3.4, I haven't tested it on 10.4 yet. It's not consistently reproducible but I've seen it a lot.

There is another issue if your original filenames are not globally unique, e.g, two files with the same name in different folders. In that case loading an event XML will also create spurious duplicate clips. This one is 100% consistent even on small libraries, at least on 10.3.4. The workaround is rename all files before import so they are globally unique across the entire documentary.

In general I suggest using a lean library and duplicating it in Finder as a backup before loading any XML, then examine the library for obvious problems before committing major work. Otherwise you can get stuck in a "data fork" situation where you've committed lots of work and only later find the XML did something undesirable to the event. Of course if using proxies they must be outside the library, else it's too large to easily duplicate. Using external proxies entails another set of complications.

The MergeX utility allows combining event XMLs while giving priority to various metadata from one side or the other. However it does not work for projects, and to merge an event you must have all your projects removed to another event:

http://www.merge.software/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]