FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deleting footage from main storyline but leaving audio VO?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Deleting footage from main storyline but leaving audio VO?
on Jan 29, 2018 at 7:48:12 pm

So I have a video that includes all B-roll footage then a voice narration track.

At one point I wanted to shorten a clip in the main story line by blading that clip and deleting it to close the gap. But when I did that the whole voice track disappeared! Why is that? That are not or have never been connected. How do I get around that?

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Deleting footage from main storyline but leaving audio VO?
on Jan 29, 2018 at 10:47:42 pm

Not intended to be argumentative but I've been using FCPX since the day it was released and there's no trick to it - either the audio was actually attached to the part of the clip you deleted or you have some weird bug going on. Try moving the audio clip connection to another spot to make sure FCPX knows where the connection is and give it another go would be my only suggestion.

My other thought is that, based on what you've described, it sounds like you're making life a little awkward for yourself by having b-roll on the primary storyline and audio attached to that. Most people using FCPX would have the voice over audio on the primary and any b-roll as either a connected clip or secondary storyline attached to that. That way there's very little chance of affecting the audio as you move or trim the b-roll.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jan 30, 2018 at 12:55:11 am

Thaks Jeff, I don't see anything you're saying as argumentative . I'm just trying to learn.

Basically I've put all of my footage on the main story line, then add some connected clips above that. I place the Voiceover narration track under the main story line. Sorta like FCP 7. Is that not correct?

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Sean Hynes
on Jan 30, 2018 at 1:02:53 pm

Hi Greg,

The clip needs a "point" at which it connects to the visual or video clip. There should be a point (usually at the beginning of the clip by default) where you can see the place where the audio connects to the separate video clip above. As Jeff says, try moving the audio clip away from the clip you are about to delete, so that the audio clip is connected to another video clip while you delete the other. Then you can move it back into position.

Alternatively, before deleting the video clip, simple select the audio clip, hit "Copy" or CMD and C to copy. Then once you have deleted the video clip, you simple hit "Paste" or CMD and V, and your audio clip will be copied back in.

The Seanacus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]