FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to save exports for re-ingest later?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kasey Gay
How to save exports for re-ingest later?
on Jan 27, 2018 at 12:38:26 pm

Hey team!

Was hoping you wouldn't mind letting me leech off a bit of your knowledge.

I put out a lot of weekly edits. Personal trips, vlogs, mini-cineamtics. I don't always want to save all of my project files and original media. Typically I want to slam together one really aggressive edit and then forget the rest of it ever existed.

For youtube recaps or personal remixes later though, I wanted to ask some advice.

I've been exporting a master file in Pro-res HQ. Dropping that into compressor for delivery to social media outlets. Then hanging onto my master files. Reason being if I want to make a super cut later, or use my favorite edits for banners or advertising, my belief is that I can drop that master file BACK INTO final cut and not lose quality.

Am I correct in this? And are there any other pro-tips you guys can offer?
Like I've heard before that de-noising footage first makes color grading easier. But if I denoise, the computer response time is horrendous while grading. Are you guys denoising, then exporting a prores file and reimporting and grading on that?

Thanks for the time and advice!
Kasey

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: How to save exports for re-ingest later?
on Jan 27, 2018 at 7:57:23 pm

Outputting to ProRes and bringing it back in is a perfectly ok thing to do. There is always a minor degradation but you would need to reimport-rerender-reimport many, many times to even begin to see it.

I’d personally keep a copy of the FCPX project and all original media used in it - hard drive space is cheap - but your system is absolutely fine and I do exactly that for projects I know won’t ever see a re-edit.

Good quality noise reduction is always processor intensive and time consuming. If you’re grading in FCPX, apply it only to the clips that need it, then turn it off until you finish your colour grading and re-enable it for the final output.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Kasey Gay
Re: How to save exports for re-ingest later?
on Jan 30, 2018 at 12:07:25 am

Thanks Jeff!
Appreciate the answer. Glad to know I mess around and occasionally get something right. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]