FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX stuttering since last update. VTDecoderXPCService up to 900% ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Tosh
FCPX stuttering since last update. VTDecoderXPCService up to 900% ?
on Jan 24, 2018 at 8:15:22 pm

I've never had issues with editing on my system. My specs are:

Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz
Dual AMD FirePro D700 6 GB
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Memory: 64 GB
I have 10.13.2 running and FCPX is 10.4

Ever since the latest larger update for FCPX, the video starts to stutter during editing after about 2 seconds. The audio plays through just fine but the video starts to become very choppy. This never used to happen. I started watching the Activity Monitor and notice when I play something in FCPX the VTDecoderXPCService jumps up to almost 900% CPU usage!

I haven't changed any settings in FCPX. Only change was the update. What the heck is happening and how do I fix it?

Much thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX stuttering since last update. VTDecoderXPCService up to 900% ?
on Jan 24, 2018 at 9:27:35 pm

Trash your preferences by Holstein option-command and launch FCPX.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jan 24, 2018 at 9:44:05 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "by Holstein"

Pun intended?

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 24, 2018 at 11:41:07 pm

[Michael Hancock] "Pun intended?"

Why, yes! Yes of course! 🐮

Sorry, I meant “by holding” not “by Holstein”

Return to posts index

Oliver Tosh
on Feb 19, 2018 at 8:57:33 pm

Deleting the preferences did not help. Final Cut is almost unusable at this point on my system. After 2-3 seconds the video becomes so choppy that it is almost impossible to edit without pulling your hair out. The audio plays through just fine. VTDecoderXPCService is still running up the CPU and this all started after the last update.

Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 19, 2018 at 10:34:24 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Feb 19, 2018 at 10:43:03 pm

[Oliver Tosh] "VTDecoderXPCService is still running up the CPU and this all started after the last update. "

This usually indicates some sort of transcode.

Do you have Compressor on your machine?

Also, what is in the project? Do you have multicams? Is the preference set to make optimized media on multicams?

Are there any background processes running (hit command-9 to bring up the background tasks window).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Oliver Tosh
on Feb 28, 2018 at 2:57:30 am

SOLVED, well sorta. I guess the better reply would be found a workable SOLUTION.

I do have compressor installed. (Latest version)
The problem only appears on multicam projects. As soon as I hit "view angles" the video starts the lag terribly.
I am running 4 1080p angles and 2 audio tracks. I do not use proxy/optimized footage. I never have, and never had to in the past with similar projects.
I've tried switching between original/better performance settings. No change in the stutter/dropped frames.
I tried a fresh reformat and clean install a couple of times.

I tested this on the system listed above and on a 2015 iMac. Same exact issue on both machines.
I started deleting apps that I usually run just to see if anything was causing it. Adobe, Firefox, mail, Slack, you name it... No changes in the crappy performance.

So I once again did a reformat/clean install of High Sierra. This time I decided to install Final Cut Pro X 10.3.4. Guess what? Runs smooth as butter just as it always has. All the angles, no proxy/optimized. Everything full rez running on dual 4k monitors. Runs absolutely perfect.
I then tested this on the iMac and got the same results. Runs perfectly.

I don't know what it is, but FCPX 10.4 runs like complete garbage for me on two separate computers when "displaying angles" on multicam projects. Does this happen for everybody else when viewing angles on multicam projects? Very strange.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]