FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple "Meltdown" countermeasures.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Poole
Apple "Meltdown" countermeasures.
on Jan 24, 2018 at 12:13:42 pm

Hi all, slightly off topic here but also very relevant. I today received some update notifications, one of which was the Safari-iTunes update.

After reading about the Intel processor flaw and the measures to counter the Meltdown exploit, which are likely to result in a severe slowdown, 20-30%. I'm very cautious about all this, after all the vulnerability has been around for the past ten years unnoticed. Apparently the fix separates the kernel from some processes like the read ahead feature which kind of anticipates your next move and gets things ready, thereby speeding things up.

Regarding today's update notifications and digging a bit deeper into the Safari-Itunes update there is also the "Meltdown" patch hidden away in there.

As an editor running software such as FCPX and Resolve which thrash the life out of my computer I'm not really willing to take such a potential performance hit. I've held off applying the update until I find out just how bad it will be. Has anyone else applied the patch yet, how did it go?

Roger.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]