FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacing audio with multicam clips for transcript based workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Leitch
Replacing audio with multicam clips for transcript based workflow
on Jan 23, 2018 at 10:13:44 am

Hi all,

I run transcript and paper edit based workflows and I'm trying to figure out a way to integrate this transcription app Descript (https://www.descript.com/) into FCPX.

The idea is that I'll make edits on the text in Descript, which will automatically make corresponding audio edits. Unfortunately Descript is audio only, but it does output AAFs. By using DaVinci resolve I can convert the AAF into an FCPXML and bring it into FCPX.

So now I have a project of my edit with audio only, but I want it to be of multicam video clips. Can anyone think of a way to replace the audio files with corresponding multicam clips in such a way that it will replace all instances of the clip in the project?

Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Jesuit Lewis
Re: Replacing audio with multicam clips for transcript based workflow
on Feb 13, 2020 at 9:45:41 pm

Wondering if you ever solved this...I've been playing around with Descript as well, and I know they now offer a direct export to XML for FCPX but I haven't figured out a good round-trip option for scenarios where you have multiple cameras and/or separate synced audio. It's a great tool, but seems like it needs a way to import XMLs to edit from as well...

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Feb 13, 2020 at 10:02:34 pm

Have you checked out the Lumberjack Builder NLE?

I'm not sure if it handles multicam, but it does allow you to construct videos based on transcripts and is pretty amazing: you edit the text and that edits the audio and video in real time, plus you can search for phrases, move topics around, etc., all based on text.

Mark Spencer did a detailed demo of it in one of his Ripple Training tutorials on editing interviews in Final Cut Pro X; Lumberjack also has a quick demo on their website but it doesn't give you a full appreciation of what it can do (I haven't used it myself but was really impressed by what I saw in Mark's tutorial).

Return to posts index

Jesuit Lewis
on Feb 13, 2020 at 10:14:25 pm

That is helpful! Will check it out!

Return to posts index

Terry Barnum
on Feb 14, 2020 at 9:23:28 pm

We used Lumberjack on a long-form documentary style project and after a few teething issues, it worked well. I think they named a bug after me. ☺

I recall it did work with multicams. It wasn't cheap to have them do the transcription if you have a lot of material. There are other transcription services that you can use if you're up for manipulating their output text file into what Lumberjack wants to see. I experimented with the ones that Mark at Ripple tested in his Lumberjack review.

-Terry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]