FORUMS: list search recent posts

MultiCam project crashing with MXF (OP-1a) (XDCAM HD422) footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Declan Smith
MultiCam project crashing with MXF (OP-1a) (XDCAM HD422) footage
on Jan 22, 2018 at 2:15:43 am

I have an FCPX HD project with 3 camera angles. The entire project will be two hours, but this is split into two 1 hour segments. Each camera output is 1 hour continuous, so fairly large files. I created XDCAM versions of my source footage to save on space on my editing machine as at the time, I did not have the space to do my standard 3 backup copies.

Each multi clip consists of the 3 camera angles and 3 additional separately recorded audio tracks.

The first 1 hour multi clip segment has been edited with no problems.

The second 1 hour segment started to crash at a certain point. To cut a long story short, through all manner of resetting preferences, trying a different user, exporting the event into another library etc, I can't get it to work without crashing. Almost always when the mulitcamera angles was made active in the viewer, or when scrubbing the clips.

I noticed on one of my reset sessions, that scrubbing through an existing source clip from the first segment (which was successfully edited), crashed out. Subsequent restarts / scrubs in the same place results in crashes.

I was at the point where I could no longer continue editing the project as it would consistently crash. This got me thinking. I now have enough free space to copy over the original source footage which is ProRes 422. I did that, and manually re-linked the files (effectively replacing the XDCAM versions with native ProRes 422). Instantly I can now edit with no problems and it hasn't crashed since.

Although FCPX can work with other formats, is it just best practice to work in ProRes? (or proxy media, also prores)?

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
FCPX / Adobe CS6/ FCS3 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Reason / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]