FORUMS: list search recent posts

fcpx is importing fps wrong

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vegdo Rjabkov
fcpx is importing fps wrong
on Jan 21, 2018 at 2:38:48 pm

Hey guys,

I shot video in 4k 24fps and the brolls in 1080p and 100fps. My Problem is that the clips with 100fps are shown as 60fps in fcpx.. ?
I imported the files in adobe premiere pro and there they are shown as 100fps.

What am i making wrong ?

Thank you all in advance

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: fcpx is importing fps wrong
on Jan 21, 2018 at 3:02:51 pm

What camera did you use to record 100 fps that gives you files at 100fps?

Usually, slow motion comes in at a "project" frame rate that is set in the camera. Rarely do you get access to footage at 100fps, but it's usually 100fps played back at a normal video rate (like 60 or 24) to make it a bit easier to playback on any baseband system.

Return to posts index

Vegdo Rjabkov
on Jan 21, 2018 at 4:40:00 pm

i used the sony a6300. i used the 100fps because if i would film with 120fps i would get light flicker

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 21, 2018 at 5:29:17 pm

What is the fps of your timeline and does the footage playback in slow motion in the browser?

If it differs from 60, then add the clip to your timeline, and choose Modify > Retime > Automatic Speed. This will give you a 1:1 ratio of footage to timeline frames.

For instance, if your footage was shot @ 100fps and is now paying back at 30fps in a , you will have about a 70% reduction in speed.

If your timeline is 24fps, then you'll get even slower motion as the frames are playing back at a slow rate (about 86% of the speed, or 24% playback speed of 100fps).

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 21, 2018 at 11:11:03 pm

Any professional camera that permits intentional over and under cranking will have two frame rate settings - the base frame rate (23.976, 25, 29.97, 50, 59.96, and 60) and the actual record rate, such as 100 or 120fps. The file is flagged according to the base rate. In the case of a camera like an Alexa, this means that in a 23.976 timeline, material shot at 120fps will playback as slomo.

If no such flag exists, or if the camera was incorrectly set, then the actual frame rate of the file will dictate. If you stick a such a file with a higher frame rate, like 100fps, into a 23.976 timeline, then you'll need to manually set the desired slomo rate (or use the FCPX automatic setting) to have it play in slomo.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Vegdo Rjabkov
on Jan 24, 2018 at 5:36:50 pm

thank you for the informations, but this frame rates are quiet hard for me to understand.

my time line is in 25p, my normal clips were shot in 24p and the slowmo in 100p. now i realised a next mistake i wanted to change the framerate settings of my timeline, but i can only choose 25p ?

when in hit the automatic speed it makes to 25% speed. seems like it is working...

If i understand everything rigth i just dont have to care about the 60fps showing in the clip ?
when i reduse it to 25% i should have playing 25fps ?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 24, 2018 at 6:09:19 pm

If you use “Automatic speed”, your frames will play back 1:1 without any interpolation, yes.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 24, 2018 at 6:21:53 pm

[Vegdo Rjabkov] "this frame rates are quiet hard for me to understand. "

Sorry. I'm in the NTSC world, so these are fractional rates we have to commonly deal with.

[Vegdo Rjabkov] "i realised a next mistake i wanted to change the framerate settings of my timeline"

What frame rate do you want to change it to?

[Vegdo Rjabkov] "when in hit the automatic speed it makes to 25% speed."

This would be correct for 100fps inside of a 25fps timeline.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Vegdo Rjabkov
on Jan 24, 2018 at 6:25:44 pm

i wanted to change to 24p because my camera was also set to 24p or does it matter 24 or 25 ?

ok than i can use my slowmo shot in 25% speed, but why is fcpx showing me 60fps ?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 24, 2018 at 6:42:53 pm

[Vegdo Rjabkov] " but why is fcpx showing me 60fps"

Because that is the "display format" so that it can be played back on a baseband monitor.

If you open the inspector, and set the metadata view to "Extended", the "Video frame rate" would show 100fps, like this:

Return to posts index

Vegdo Rjabkov
on Jan 24, 2018 at 7:45:45 pm

thank you very much :)!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]