FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX - How do you add Notes to a tagged range and not the entire clip?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ann Marie
FCPX - How do you add Notes to a tagged range and not the entire clip?
on Jan 19, 2018 at 10:30:39 pm

I am starting to log an hour-long documentary project. In the interview process, I have multiple questions in long clips. I have Ranged and Keyword tagged the different clips in the long clips and now I want to add log notes. I would like the notes/log notes to be specific on the individual ranges I have selected.

When I add notes to the range clip; either in Notes or in Keyword notes, the notes attach across all the range selections in the master clip. Is there a work around or correct process to do this? Thank you

FCP 10.4
Sierra 10.3.2

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX - How do you add Notes to a tagged range and not the entire clip?
on Jan 20, 2018 at 2:15:05 am

Using markers would be best for this situation.

Return to posts index

Ann Marie
on Jan 20, 2018 at 3:22:17 am

Thank you for your response.

Would markers work if I want to be able to log clips? Can you export the text from markers? Also, aren't markers
only shown on the timeline and timeline index? I was looking to be able to view my log for my clips and separate them as they are to be used in the film. Can markers do this?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 20, 2018 at 5:25:26 pm

Just to be clear, you are saying you can’t add notes to specific keyword ranges?

If you put your Browser in list view, you can’t add notes to each keyword range on a clip? This should be possible, here’s a picture of notes on keyword range with a clip selected:

And here's what it looks like when the keyword is selected in the Browser:

Markers can be used in the browser, they also show in the timeline, and the text does make it in the XML and they searchable in the Browser, but they have some limitations when displaying the search.

I think adding notes to keyword ranges is better.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ann Marie
on Jan 24, 2018 at 8:22:58 pm

Thank you. Yes, this is very close to what I am looking to do.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 24, 2018 at 9:25:34 pm

No prob.

Did you get it to work?

Return to posts index

Ann Marie
on Jan 24, 2018 at 9:46:39 pm

Yes, I have been inputting my log notes in keywords. Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated.

However, the initial question I have still remains. = )

I called Apple and I asked how to add notes / log notes to a tagged range and not have the notes attach to the entire clip - something that could be done earlier with subclips. The person I spoke with was really great, knew what I was asking about, and had no internal Apple FCP solution on how to do it. He also recognized earlier this was possible with subclips and how helpful it is in editing. He is passing on my editor request to the FCP team. Hopefully, they will come up with something.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2018 at 2:41:20 pm

[Ann Marie] " called Apple and I asked how to add notes / log notes to a tagged range and not have the notes attach to the entire clip - "

In the example I provided, the notes were only on the tagged range (or keyword). The only note on the whole clip was “overall” note.

That is not what you are trying to accomplish? Notes on ranges?

Return to posts index

Ann Marie
on Jan 26, 2018 at 5:50:44 pm

What I originally was asking about, and why I called Apple, is because, for example, like in the project I am currently working on - I have long clips for interviews for a documentary. In these long single clips may be 4 or 5 questions and answers. In the past, I would take the one long clip, blade it up where the questions are and add notes/log notes to each clip in the notes area for the cut clips. Really fast and effective way for me to work, everyone has there own editing style, this one works for me and some other editors I know and they have the same question I have.

In FCPX when you cut one long clip into smaller clips to organize, for example, Q & A, and you add notes the notes you add will then attach to the entire clip; even the cut pieces. So you then have to add another step by then doing keyword ranges to add notes. Bladding does not separate the note information on the clips that are cut. That's what I specifically was asking about. This is what Apple said is not possible at this time.

Thank you again for your help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2018 at 7:35:08 pm

[Ann Marie] "So you then have to add another step by then doing keyword ranges to add notes. Bladding does not separate the note information on the clips that are cut."

My first step is always to add keywords.

In the scenario you propose, if the people get asked the same or similar questions, they get a keyword for that question. This, in effect, creates subclips. And in the notes section in the keyword, go the notes for that range, and that note is added only to that range (unless you add a note to the overall clip, and not just the keyword range). If you need to add specific notes to a specific point in time, you can do that with markers. If you look at keyword ranges sort of as subclips, you get a different set of notes that are different for each keyword without all the duplication of subclips.

Return to posts index

Ann Marie
on Jan 26, 2018 at 10:10:16 pm

Yes, thank you. I know what you shared in regards to keywords and markers. As editors, we all work differently, that's what makes a creative field creative. The workflow you described for your self is great. I appreciate what you shared and know you are looking at how to make what I asked about work. Thank you. However, it is a different way of working and doesn't answer what I was asking about. However, no worries.

As I shared earlier, I spoke with Apple, the tech was aware of what I was asking in regards to clip and notes hopefully, they will have an answer. If and when I hear from them, I will post. Have a good day!

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jan 27, 2018 at 6:56:11 pm

If you select a range of a clip, say subject answers question 1 of 4 interview questions, then favorite the selection , you can add notes to the note field lets say a transcription of the answer. Once favorited, you can also change the name “favorite” to something more meaningful to you. the same range can also be keyworded if. You are so inclined .

This may solve your problem.

Return to posts index

Ann Marie
on Jan 29, 2018 at 7:31:27 pm

Thank you. I will try what you suggested. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jan 30, 2018 at 1:22:15 pm

This strategy should work for you. I ran into the same problem a while back and was perplexed for a bit till I figured this out.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Feb 26, 2018 at 4:57:03 pm

Ok... so this is breaking my brain a bit.

It's possible to have an entire clip assigned to a keyword, and also smaller segments of that clip assigned to that keyword.

However, if you have assigned the entire clip to the keyword, you need to do some gymnastics in order to designate a subrange to that same keyword in order to add a note.

Once the entire clip was assigned to a keyword with the subjects name, I selected ranges, assigned them a temporary keyword, added a note then selected all the subranges in that second keyword collection then dragged all the subranges in the second keyword collection onto the original keyword collection icon with the subjects name as the keyword, then shift-deleted the temporary keyword collection in the browser. Now all the subranges with the notes are assigned.

I suppose I could also select the portion of the clip where the questions are asked, or a single frame and un-assign the keyword for that portion, in order to force a subrange that I can add a note to.

Does anyone actually use the notes on the sub ranges? Is this easier than say adding a marker to put a loose verbatim in as the marker name.

I've used markers, however, when I put the browser in list view in order to see the marker names, I also see every subrange and assigned keyword in the list, and I'd love to be able to filter that out, like you can in the timeline index.

I'm also a little afraid that since the keyword for the subranges and the keyword for the entire clip are the same, that the subranges might disappear, and the notes with them.

And of course if I search for a note or a marker, all it does is filter the browser view so I only see the clips with that search term, which means it'll still show me the entire clip.

My brain hurts. This seems harder than it should be.

Ultimately, I'd like a way to loosely log clips in FCPX. If there was a way to print that marker list to get a hard copy of your notes, that'd be great.

---------

Mark Morache
Evening Magazine, Seattle, WA

Return to posts index

Ann Marie
on Feb 26, 2018 at 6:39:42 pm

Howzit Mark,

It broke my brain a bit too.

This is what I I ended up doing, it might help you, here goes . . .

I put keywords on the long interview clips in the event (or some still call a bin) to organize. Then I drop those long interview clips into a timeline. I then cut up the long master clips to shorter clips on how I want to have them in separate clips for my documentary. I add a 2 sec handle on the cut clips in the timeline. I select the clip and then do option + G and create a compound clip that I attach a name. Those compound clips end up in the event window. I then put keywords on the compound clips identifying them as a compound clip. It creates another keyword collection to easily work with. When I select the compound clip keyword collection I created I can then quickly add notes to those clips in the event area (bin). The reason I put a 2-second handle on the clips I selected is when you drop them in your timeline for editing you have a little play with the compound clip for a dissolve/transition. If there is no extra media on the clip you have to open the compound clip redo the compound clip creation and add the extra media to do your dissolve/transition.

I can export the list out and it prints out my clips and my notes in how I organized them.

Again, I hope this helps and I absolutely agree with you, this is way harder than it should be to name and add notes to a cut clip from a master clip.

Apple should work on making this way easier!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 26, 2018 at 7:20:13 pm

[Ann Marie] "I then put keywords on the compound clips identifying them as a compound clip."

You can create a Smart Collection to gather all your compound clips (instead of adding a keyword to the compound clips).

I'm still having trouble seeing the reason why you are having trouble. I can add Notes to ranges without the ranges adopting the master note.

Can someone please walk me through step by step, how the range notes aren't working as expected?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 26, 2018 at 6:55:22 pm

I guess adding a keyword range to the entire clip, then further subdividing that clip in to ranges with the same keyword seems redundant to me.

If you want to add notes, it might be good to simply add a "Notes" keyword, and add the note to that range.

If you need marker text extracted, Producer's Best friend will do it: https://intelligentassistance.com/producer-s-best-friend.html

Return to posts index

Ann Marie
on Feb 26, 2018 at 8:21:12 pm

What might seem redundant to you does not seem redundant to me. = ) Everyone has their own editing styles and organizational way. The second keyword is only for Compound Clips created. They are not the same keywords for the individual compound clips.

When you're dealing with a long doc that has 20 or more interviews, as I am and where this thread started from and in not being able to take a long master clip and break it down to subclips without all the subclips carrying the same name as the master clip, that's where the problem is at the moment.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 26, 2018 at 9:50:54 pm

[Ann Marie] "What might seem redundant to you does not seem redundant to me. = ) "

I do understand that what's good for the goose is not always good for the gander. I am trying to help work around any limitations presented with FCPX. I think that FCPX has very good organizational tools, but you do have to use them in the way that they are designed.

[Ann Marie] "When you're dealing with a long doc that has 20 or more interviews, as I am and where this thread started from and in not being able to take a long master clip and break it down to subclips without all the subclips carrying the same name as the master clip, that's where the problem is at the moment."

Oh, you are talking clip names. NOT notes. The only to give unique clip names in the Browser is to duplicate the clip, but it gets very messy and I don't recommend it. You can also rename clips on the timeline, and that name will not rename in the Browser. Here's a picture of a clip called "Test" which I spliced twice, added notes to two clips, and renamed two of the segments. Remember this is all from the same clip. If I match frame, it all goes back to the clip "Test".

Since FCPX can't rename subclips, perhaps there's a better way to achieve what you are doing without making tons of compound clips. What information do you get from a clip name that you couldn't get from a keyword or other tag?

[Ann Marie] "The second keyword is only for Compound Clips created. "

As an aside, making smart collections may be a good idea for you as all of your compound clips will end up there, regardless. You can even add a modifier to the clip name like "Clipname_SubClip" and you can tell the smart collection to aggregate just the compound clips with text that includes "_SubClip".

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Mar 20, 2018 at 9:57:57 pm

Here’s how I ‘subclip’ inrterviews or any clip for that matter. Taking a cue from Bill Davis, I go thru my interview clips and for the particular bits I want, I place ‘in’ and out markers, then favorite (F key) the range. Please note if you want to keep all the ranges you have taped out in a clip visible, then after you select the first range, use the key combo cmd+shift I or O to add the second, third, fourth etc ranges. This way when you get around to actually picking bits to drop in the time line they are already defined as ranges and all you have to do is grab them and append, overwrite, insert edit what you already have defined. THe favorite field can be edited so it says something other than the ‘favorite’ placeholder text, or it could just be asterisks *. **. ***. ****Then I tab over to add notes to the notes field which could be a verbatim transcript or paraphrased transcript of the speaker’s words. Once this is done, then if you want to toss in some keywords for an additional layer of organization across interviews that you have sub clipped you can. So lets say you’ve interviewed 5 people about how being a teacher changed their lives. You sub clip as outlined above, then keyword their responses- for instance Most insightful moment as a teacher- . THis method gives you the subclipping inside of each clip PLUS a collection of responses from all interviewees about ‘most insightful moment as a teacher’.

Return to posts index

Ann Marie
on Mar 21, 2018 at 10:01:51 pm

Aloha Mark, Mahalo. I have a good system that's working on the project I am doing now, but I will certainly try what you suggested on my next long format project.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Mar 21, 2018 at 10:56:42 pm

Bula! Mahalo!
Hey if what you have is working, then let it work. I’ve bumped heads with sub clipping and keywording a few times and what I wrote about works for me. I’m interested in how you solved the problem so if you have some screen shots or notes you can share, that would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 23, 2018 at 4:31:17 am

Hi Ann Marie.

One early realization that every X editor has to understand is that key worded ranges are very different from traditional “subclips” in this sense ...

Range selections are never really “stand alone” things, but more like “windows” into the underlying source clip.

This reflects in many ways. For instance, renaming one “clip” in a set of ranges, can rename them all. This confuses new editors, but makes perfect sense when you see them as the “windows” I describe. You are renaming the underlying whole clip - so all the instances what are just virtual windows into it change too.

One really useful aspect of this is how when you insert a range selection into your storyline, you can often drag its boundaries out to the length of the underlying source clip if you like.

This makes adding transitions, for example significantly easier since most range selections arrive with natural ample pads attached.

Hope some of this helps you better conceptuslize how X functions.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Mathew Farrell
on Apr 10, 2018 at 6:05:46 am

Hi guys, I'm struggling with this one too.

I can't seem to add a note to a range. No matter what I do, it gets added to the whole clip.

When the clips are in list view I can't add notes, just read what's there. Does this sound correct?
The only way I can see to enter a note is in the inspector, which looks like it refers to the whole clip and not the range.

Even if I manage to get just the range in my browser/list, the inspector affects the whole clip.

Mathew Farrell
flowstate.com.au

Return to posts index

Mathew Farrell
on Apr 10, 2018 at 6:12:01 am

Er, scratch that. I can do it now. Not at all sure what I was doing wrong before, but I'm back in business.

Mathew Farrell
flowstate.com.au

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Apr 10, 2018 at 1:04:46 pm

Re reading this thread just now, it finally sinks in that the OP Anne Marie wanted to “subclip” long interview clips and then rename those subclips something more appropriate to her project or way of thinking.

I do that by selecting a range , making it a favorite and changing the default “favorite” to “Bob explains why....” which is the way I name a clip range, in this subclipping scheme and then in notes field I can add a summary or verbatim text of the subject.

Return to posts index

Teddy Zegeye-Gebrehiwot
on May 5, 2018 at 12:11:24 am

Hey- I think i get what you are asking.

Here is what I do, for things like long interview clips:

1) I break up a large clip by "deleting" sections in between it (rejecting) The part I reject is the part where the interviewer is asking the question or whatever way I can break it up.

2) and then I change the display, in the browser, to "hide rejected clips". What remains are the smaller chunks (ie comparable to sub clips). Visually this is great because it breaks a long clip into little chunks.

3) I create a keyword for each little chunk. I use the word "question" and for the note, I write out a summary of the question.

4) Now each keyword corresponds to a 'subclip' and I make further notes using favourites/keywords for each little chunk.

I copied this technique from "This Guy Edits" youtube channel.

I am not sure if this is the correct video, but I think it is:

Return to posts index

Ann Marie
on May 8, 2018 at 7:04:55 pm

Aloha Teddy,

Mahalo. Totally makes sense. I will check out the youtube clip you attached. Have a great day!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]