FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hand off long project to editor in another state

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Watts
Hand off long project to editor in another state
on Jan 15, 2018 at 10:30:56 pm

I have this documentary that is over two hours and quite complex. I am going to hand it off to an editor in another state.

When I began the project I imported all the footage onto a single large raid drive. I did not import them into the library, but left them in place on the drive. The footage is in multiple well named and organized folders.

I have watched Larry Jordan training videos and Lynda.com videos on media management and still have questions.

Is there an advantage to creating a new shared library with all the footage contained and managed within the library?

If so I don't know how to get the footage into an existing library AFTER import. I thought there was a way to do this, but can't figure out how)

Consolidation does not work if all the footage its on a single raid drive.

Could any problems arise by copying all the folders to a new physical drive and also copying the library or libraries?

(This would mean that the new editor has all the libraries, projects, and events with the exact same directory structure.)

Would anyone suggest the best way to achieve this? Thanks Larry

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Hand off long project to editor in another state
on Jan 16, 2018 at 12:14:16 am

Just clone the drive and make sure the clone has the same name. Then ship that to the other editor.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Jan 16, 2018 at 8:07:38 pm

The project folders and libraries are on a 24TB RAID drive which also contains many other projects in separate folders.
I need to deliver the project on an 8TB single portable drive.

I'll need to research cloning, but it could not be the entire drive.

Suggestions!

Larry

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 16, 2018 at 9:51:09 pm

[Larry Watts] "I need to deliver the project on an 8TB single portable drive."

You might want to look at Worx4X.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jan 16, 2018 at 12:17:31 am

I've no idea what Larry Jordan says but I'd personally copy all the footage along with the library to a new hard drive. Test that it's all there by disconnecting the other drives and opening the project copy with just the drive you're going to send available. As long as the folder structure hasn't changed too much, relinking should only take a minute or two. Obviously if anything's missing, go find it and put it on the new drive then send it to your editor.

That's what's worked for me the last few years anyway...

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 16, 2018 at 7:08:40 pm

Honestly, spending time using finder folders for asset organization is a wee bit contrary to how X is designed, IMO.

X looks for “mounted volumes” - whether those are physical drives or network connected locations - and the rest of its management and assembly tasks are exclusively database driven.

The finder locations of things really aren’t very important in a system like that.

Folders are nice - but X doesn’t care about them. It has a database to do it’s asset management work.

Literally, if you just toss ALL your video, audio and graphics assets in one big folder called “Sources” (or something similar) - located on the root level of a drive - then just exported XMLs to describe your edits in progress and emailed those back and forth as you work - X will sync things just fine.

As long as two editors have IDENTICAL drive volume structures - XML sharing works fine at a “two individual editors” collaborating level.

Lots of folders within folders within folders is a strategy I see as a remnant if older editing practices and really kinda just makes the databases job fractionally more difficult - since it makes the asset location paths more complex.

Simpler is usually gooder!

My 2 cents.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jan 16, 2018 at 7:47:57 pm

[Bill Davis] "Honestly, spending time using finder folders for asset organization is a wee bit contrary to how X is designed, IMO.
"

Folders are useful in a more broad post workflow, especially if you're sending out for color, VFX, sound, etc... or working on shared storage. Plus, they're easily read by humans, without having to dive into an NLE to make sense of them.

[Bill Davis] "Literally, if you just toss ALL your video, audio and graphics assets in one big folder called “Sources” (or something similar) - located on the root level of a drive - then just exported XMLs to describe your edits in progress and emailed those back and forth as you work - X will sync things just fine. "

Is this how you organize your assets? Everything goes loose into a folder, with no subfolders for Footage, ACam, BCam, Music, Graphics, etc?

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Jan 16, 2018 at 8:14:02 pm

My use of folders was so that when I imported assets FCPX would automatically assign keywords for organization and thus saving me time.

Larry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]