FORUMS: list search recent posts

Synching Audio On A Project Timeline that Has Already Been Created?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Thomas
Synching Audio On A Project Timeline that Has Already Been Created?
on Jan 13, 2018 at 4:21:47 pm
Last Edited By Daniel Thomas on Jan 13, 2018 at 6:09:31 pm

I have a big problem.

I am well into a project in FCPX with video clips that had in camera sound only. I know you can’t auto synch video and audio in the timeline, so I had a solution in mind.

I had intended to replace the clips in the timeline with clips that had synched sound (either compound clips or clips that had been broken apart after being synched compound clips)
I had made the false assumption that the copy and paste attributes function or a similar function would include an option to set the in and out points of Clip A (my synched sound video clip) to match Clip B (the same video clip, but non synched sound).

Looking now, I see of course that copy and paste attributes function does NOT have the option I need. Furthermore, and to my amazement, I can’t see or find anything that would allow me to match the in and out points. I can’t believe that something so fundamentally simple would not be a part of an advanced program. I feel like there should be a work around but I don’t know what it is.

1. Does some sort of match function for in and out points for two versions of a clip exist?
2. If not, what is the best solution to my problem?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Synching Audio On A Project Timeline that Has Already Been Created?
on Jan 13, 2018 at 10:52:35 pm

Sync the updated audio to the clips in the browser. Use Shift F on the timeline to reveal the clip in the browser with the in/out points set. Replace the clip on the timeline.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Daniel Thomas
on Jan 14, 2018 at 1:10:23 am

If I am follow Jeff's solution correctly, it is not a very good solution. While it does enable me to the in and out points from the original video synched to the quality sound file, the audio is many times longer than the in and out points for the video selection, therefore I have to trim the clip again both before and after the video and then make the replacement. With no precision, I then have to go in and trim again if I want to get the exact cut I made when I originally placed the video clip (with the original camera audio) onto the timeline.

Am I doing something wrong?
Any other solutions?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jan 15, 2018 at 7:33:51 pm

In that case, I don’t think there’s anything you can do but suck it up and do to the long way and remember for next time that it always pays to test a workflow rather than assume something’s going to work.

I do remember being in the same situation three or four years ago and I remember I sped up the process a little by using a keyboard macro app so I just had to open each clip and hit a key to do the select and trim process. It made trimming the clips a couple of seconds each.

If I can remember what project it was and can see what I did, I’ll let you know but that’s the only solution that comes to mind.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 16, 2018 at 6:38:53 pm

Just for future avoidance of stuff like this - consider learning to do as much prep work as possible (like sound sync, audio track management and replacement, base color correction, etc.) in the Browser rather than in your Storylines.

Mastering X is fundamentally about mastering metadata flow.

The more you do “upstream” the more time and hassle you save downstream.

FWIW.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]