FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a CONSOLIDATE feature in FCP X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
Is there a CONSOLIDATE feature in FCP X?
on Jan 5, 2018 at 6:51:13 pm

Hi,

I edited a half hour power point presentation and inserted live video and some VO.
I had to add a lot of still frames to have the power point slides sync with the VO.
The client has asked me to a few (paid for) edits and I'm finding all of those mini edits I did can ver easily slip around, leaving unwanted gaps. Is there a Consolidate feature that will lock them all into place?
I'm still learning the workflow for this type of editing, so my timeline looks a bit dodgy.

Why is posting an image so convoluted?!?! I have no clue if you can see this, but the timeline is messy.

12048_screenshot20180105at1.42.47pm.png.zip

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Is there a CONSOLIDATE feature in FCP X?
on Jan 5, 2018 at 7:28:31 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Jan 5, 2018 at 7:29:21 pm

couldnt see your timeline but there’s no way to lock clips in place as such. You can make complex parts of the timeline into a compound clip to simplify things though.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jan 5, 2018 at 7:32:11 pm

Here's Ty's pic.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 5, 2018 at 10:04:05 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Jan 5, 2018 at 10:28:08 pm

It looks like you haven't made effective use of the Primary Storyline (which is empty for almost 1/2 of the video) and everything is either a Connect Clip or a huge Secondary Storyline which leads me to believe you where trying to emulate a Track Based workflow which doesn't work in Final Cut Pro X because storylines are NOT tracks.

I would suggest that you think about what is the Primary Storyline. Is it the visuals? In which case place the slides on the Primary Storyline and sync the audio below them as Connect Clips. Or... is the narrative the Primary Storyline in which case place the audio on the Primary Storyline and sync the slides above it as Connected Clips. Determining what should be the primary story is critical to syncing everything else. You have to stop thinking about Tracks and start thinking about the Story you are telling. It looks like the video contains audio so I'm going to guess that this should be on your primary storyline (as it is for the second half). Then the slides would be the cut-aways above it.

I believe that your biggest problem right now is that you've created this huge secondary storyline and every time you make a change to it, everything shifts making things go out of sync because it only has one anchor point. The solution is to get rid of that big secondary storyline and allow each clip within it to Connect to the primary storyline all by itself. Then when you change one of those clips, everything else will stay in place because Connected Clips are anchored (i.e., LOCKED) to the Primary Storyline which is the behavior that I believe you are looking for.

You can use a combination of Lift from Storyline ⌥⌘↑ and Overwrite to Primary Storyline ⌥⌘↓ to fix the edit. You cannot move clips from one storyline to the other directly, so you actually have to lift the clip from the Secondary Storyline and then overwrite it to the Primary Storyline if that's the direction you want to go. Try and get all of the gaps in your primary storyline filled in. If you are filling the primary storyline gap with the video/audio that is currently below it, then just use Overwrite to Primary Storyline ⌥⌘↓ to get all of the audio clips into the Primary Storyline and use Lift from Storyline ⌥⌘↑ to get the clips from the Secondary Storyline anchored directly to the Primary Storyline.

Alternately, as Jeff mentioned, you may want to create some compound clips that contain both the slides, video, and VO in a single clip. Then you can move these clips around the audio will never get out of sync because the audio and video are combined. If you were to take this approach I would use one Compound Clip per slide. So if there are 60 slides, you would have 60 compound clips. Each one could then be edited separately so that only that one slide will be affected by any changes. I'm thinking that this might get tedious and fixing your Primary Storyline and Connecting all of the other clips to it (instead of having the huge Secondary Storyline) will be a better fix.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 6, 2018 at 1:01:08 am

Thanks John,
The problem is that I had to slice and dice the powerpoint presentation .mov and add a lot of still frames so that the VO matched the audio. I HAD to be off the primary line to do this. Can you suggest a better way to go about this in the future?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 6, 2018 at 1:54:04 am
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Jan 6, 2018 at 1:56:20 am

[Ty Ford] "The problem is that I had to slice and dice the powerpoint presentation .mov and add a lot of still frames so that the VO matched the audio. I HAD to be off the primary line to do this. Can you suggest a better way to go about this in the future?"
If the powerpoint was a video and not the actual slides (which would have been the best approach) I would capture each slide as an image using Edit/Copy/Paste from the QuickTime Player. This would give you an image for each slide that, once dropped onto the timeline, you could drag out as long as you need it. That would have cleaned up the timeline because you would have one image per slide of the exact duration you need to fit the VO.

It looks like your video has a face in it so I'm assuming that the person giving the presentation was shown as well. If that is the case, you can decide if you want the slides to be on the Primary Storyline and have the cut-aways to the presenter to be connected clips, or have the presenter on the Primary Storyline with the slides as the connected clips.

I don't know how this was shot but if it was one camera that panned back and forth from the slides to the presenter, I would have probably made the slides be on the primary storyline. If there were 60 slides there would be 60 clips on the primary storyline. I then would have made the presenter be the connected clips. This would allow me to remove the pans and cut directly from the slides to the presenter and back as needed. (although you could have done the same with the presenter on the primary and cut directly to the slides. The point is that having the slides as images makes this a lot easier.) Any other VO dialog added later would be connected audio clips below the slides on the primary.

~jr

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 6, 2018 at 7:00:35 am

HI John,

There were two video streams, one of his on camera work and one of his VO. He did the VO on set and I recorded that with the same mic on a boom as I did his on camera work to make the whole piece sound more consistent.

It was then I learned that I had to bump out the PP each time he added a line so the PP would change with his VO. He normally does the presentation live, building a sentence at a time on each slide manually as he goes.

In lieu of what I've learned here, I think the VO video stream should be primary and his on camera should also be primary, letting me have the flexibility to cut the PP slides as needed. Does that sound right?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 6, 2018 at 2:05:16 pm

[Ty Ford] "In lieu of what I've learned here, I think the VO video stream should be primary and his on camera should also be primary, letting me have the flexibility to cut the PP slides as needed. Does that sound right?"
Yes, I would agree because the primary story is the dialog which should be a consistent flow of information. Then the slides would be the cutaways as connected clips. By connecting the clips directly to the primary storyline, if you move the dialog, the visual of the slide will move with it because it's anchored to that clip. That is the beauty of not using tracks... you connect things that are connected in real life and they stay together as you move them.

If you have the actual powerpoint slides, I would export them as PNG files. I believe powerpoint has an option to export each stage of a "build" chart (i.e., a chart that reveals one point at a time). If powerpoint cannot do this, I know that Apple Keynote can and Keynote can read PPT files (I use Keynote all the time). This will give you the best quality and most flexibility in recreating the presentation just as it was given live building the charts up one line at a time.

BTW, Thank You for all of the audio training that you do. I remember many years ago when I was first getting into video, watching some of your training videos about mic selection and placement and booms, and it was very helpful. I was a musician for 10 years prior to shooting video so I knew all about mic types and mixing but shooting live and mic placement for video was an area that I had not done before. I'm honored to be able to finally help you out with something that I know and to say Thanks! ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jan 7, 2018 at 1:28:12 pm

[Ty Ford] "I think the VO video stream should be primary and his on camera should also be primary, letting me have the flexibility to cut the PP slides as needed."

This is how I do these things as well, and I group the connected PP (or KN) slides into secondary storylines, so they can move together if needed, reordered and trimmed just as you would clips on a primary.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jan 5, 2018 at 9:58:06 pm

I think the main reason for your troubles is that all your powerpoint images are in a Secondary Storyline. That means they will stay locked together at the connection point no matter what you do to the Primary Storyline where you are likely making your timing edits.

You might think about taking everything out of the Secondary Storyline at this point. Select the clips and then Cmd+Opt+Up Arrow. Or "Break Apart" This will lock each individual slide to the person talking. You'll have to futz around a bit where you make the edit, but things down the line won't change. Or multiple smaller Secondary Storylines would be more manageable.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 6, 2018 at 1:03:03 am

Thanks Brett,

Lemme see if I can wrap my head around that.

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Jan 6, 2018 at 5:09:09 am

The other option is to move the presenter below the primary storyline in a secondary storyline and put the PPT video/stills in the Primary storyline. This will allow you to make changes to the PPT storyline which in most cases is more primary then the presenter. You can leave gaps in the PPT storyline by blading sections and using the Replace with gap command.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]