FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX problem referencing camera

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Langdon
FCPX problem referencing camera
on Jan 2, 2018 at 3:32:41 pm

FCP 10.3.4

I shot a project in 4K mpg4 files and imported the footage into FCP.
I believe I did not ask it to copy the files to the library, as I presumed the mp4 files would be editable without wrapping or converting. But I might be mistaken about this, now I cannot tell what happened when importing.
The fact is, after importing all the footage, I believe the Background tasks stopped and I was able to begin editing. I edited half of the piece and quit FCP. The next day, when opening the Library, it claimed there was missing footage. I was not able to relink the footage, so ythe only way was to re-import the footage, which brought everything back and the project was ready to continue being edited.
I have been editing this material this way, every time I open the Library, I have to re-import the footage. It quickly "relinks" the footage, and does not create duplicate files on the drive, so it seems like a harmless glitch. Buit today I tried to export a first cut and was unable to, couldn't get the option to share. Apparently, FCP thinks the footage is still being imported or on a camera that is offline, although the footage is on the HD, has always been.
So I think somewhere I messed up and quit FCP before it completed some process, perhaps importing the footage.

I would like to not only continue editing, without having to re-import every time I open FCPX, but most importantly, I need to export, share.
So I tried exporting a XML file, and importing it into a new Library, into which I imported the footage again. FCP insisted on copying the files to my Media folder, re-wrapping the .mp4 footage to .mov.
Then the XML understood this and relinked sevaral of the clips, but most it did not, leaving a blank screen (black) for those many clips. When I do a "show in Browser"command, it does this fine, so it is referencing the footage, but the XML is mostly useless because footage is blank.

How can I save what I have edited and continue clean? Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: FCPX problem referencing camera
on Jan 2, 2018 at 6:26:42 pm

I know there is a bug in 10.3.4 that can cause this to happen with footage recorded in IOS 11, but maybe it’s also affecting other footage as well? You either end up with black clips on the timeline or FCPX continually thinks the footage hasn’t been imported properly.

It’s fixed by updating to FCPX 10.4 and installing the updated pro codec pack. That might work for you as well.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Alan Langdon
Re: FCPX problem referencing camera
on Jan 4, 2018 at 10:12:41 am

Many thanks, I will try the updates!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]