FORUMS: list search recent posts

No option to Share project (Export to Masterfile)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Langdon
No option to Share project (Export to Masterfile)
on Jan 2, 2018 at 1:31:09 pm

FCP 10.3.4

I have been editing a 1080 project with 4k footage.
Now I am trying to export a Quicktime file for the client to see a rough cut, but I do not get the option to Share. All th Share options are greyed out, as if I didn't have a project selected or something like that...?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: No option to Share project (Export to Masterfile)
on Jan 2, 2018 at 6:06:58 pm

I have no idea why export would be greyed out but in the interest of diagnosing the problem - is it just for that project or just for that library, or for anything you open in FCPX? Can you still send to Compressor? And just like the I.T. guy who asks have you tried turning the computer off and on again, have you tried resetting the FCPX preferences?

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Alan Langdon
on Jan 4, 2018 at 10:11:46 am

Thank you for the input!
I have not tried reseting the prefs, how can I do this in FCPX?
I think I have found the problem: apparently, when importing the footage, which is comprised of about 3 hours of 4k footage in long files (10-20 minutes each), FCPX hadn't finished totally bringing in the footage when I closed the program.
I was under the impression that mpg4 footage does not need to be copied to the library, but apparently it does, FCP wraps it just like AVCHD for some reason (the camera is a Lumix G85). Do you know anything about this?
So every time I open again FCPX, it doesn't have its teeth sunk into the footage and claims the camera is missing. I import again, it remembers, and all seems well: I can edit. BUT then when I try to export, share (via FCPX or compressor, anything is greyed out), I cannot.
I have exported a XML and am relinking the footage in a new Library, where I allowed FCPX to fully import the footage and things seem better. I'll let you know if anything comes up.
Thank you for your time and effort!

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jan 4, 2018 at 10:56:10 am

The G85 can record both MP4 and AVCHD. Mp4 files shouldn’t need to be rewrapped but AVCHD files always do. It might pay to double check your camera settings.

----

Return to posts index

Alan Langdon
on Jan 4, 2018 at 11:53:26 am

Yes I know, and I prefer the quality of mp4. So it's weird that it is having the need to rewrap..?!
I double checked and it is indeed importing the footage in, as .mov and the files are just as heavy as the originals.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jan 4, 2018 at 8:27:03 pm

That’s a weird one. FCPX doesn’t need to rewrap MP4 footage from my GH4 or G7. A friend has shot for me with his G85 and I don’t remember there being anything different about it.

Anyway, from the sounds of it, reimport and bring up the background tasks pane to make sure the import is completely finished before shutting down FCPX and you should be good.

----

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on Jan 4, 2018 at 5:46:14 pm

When all the Share options were not available for me (it's happened a couple of times over the last few years) it was because something I'd used had gone missing in the meantime, like some special transition I'd forgotten I'd used.

To find it I ended up by making a temporary project with all the contents of the troublesome project in there, deleting (say) the second half and seeing if I got the Share options back. If yes then the problem was somewhere in the half I'd deleted. You get the picture? I then kept on narrowing things down until I could slap my forehead and get back to being productive.

FCPX and PPro 6. iMac 24 + MBP 15". Near Geneva, Switzerland

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jan 7, 2018 at 1:34:48 pm

[Alan Langdon] "I have not tried reseting the prefs, how can I do this in FCPX?"

Hold Option-Command down while starting up FCPX. Hold until you see the dialogue box.

[Alan Langdon] "So every time I open again FCPX, it doesn't have its teeth sunk into the footage and claims the camera is missing."

Are you importing this from a card? If so, with the card active and the missing clips selected, use the Import from Camera/Archive and wait until the import is finished, then eject the card. My students do this all the time along with accidentally creating a Project on the card as well. It's easy to do if not careful.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]