FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 10.4 crashing with XDCAM sd cards

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Slocombe
FCP 10.4 crashing with XDCAM sd cards
on Dec 21, 2017 at 8:16:21 pm

If I open FCP x 10.4 while an XDCAM SD card is inserted in iMac, FCP crashes.
Same if I insert the card when FCP already open.
Same on 2 iMacs, both High Sierra, both 10.4.
Copied card to external HD, import from there = same crash
Dragging the xdcam mp4 from card to Import Media = a green import.
Tried in iMovie = same green import.
Anyone else got this? Any suggestions to import XDCAM?

Mark Slocombe
http://www.creationvideo.com
London, England

Return to posts index

Graham Read
Re: FCP 10.4 crashing with XDCAM sd cards
on Jan 2, 2018 at 4:13:49 pm

Hi Mark,
Yes, I've discovered this too. I'm a long time FCPx user and FCP 7 before that.
I first had problems with 10.4 on Sierra whereby the import browser was not seeing all the clips on the SXS card. I was in the habit of using XDCAM Browser software from Sony to merge spanned clips rather than the camera archive method that Apple suggest and had been doing this for years.
The way FCPx 10.4 interprets not only spanned clips but also the forced splitting of clips into 4GB or less due to the FAT32 format of XDCAM EX cards is broken.
As I have been using this for years I was in the habit of also installing the Sony XDCAM plugin.
I was keen to try a clean install of High Sierra and on checking the support site, it suggested that the plugin was only required for 10.2 and older versions of FCPx so I have not installed the plugin on my new clean build but curious if it would solve the problem.
I'm going to file another bug report with Apple - there are not too many people shouting about this problem which is odd.
I was hoping that a clean install would solve my first problem of not interpreting the SXS card files correctly in 10.4 on Sierra, but sadly not the case - it's worse with a total crash out.
Fortunately I've got my Sierra system still running and I can import onto a library there and take the drive with me and it then works on my MBP with High Sierra.
Any thoughts on the necessity of the Sony XDCAM Plugin?

Return to posts index

Eric Conley
on Jan 12, 2018 at 11:07:58 pm

Graham,
We don't have the crashing issue, but we do have the missing clips and spanning issue. Just this week we have started noticing that some clips randomly don't appear in the import window. Not every card, but there is no pattern to it as well. Spanned clips in the import window now show up as 2 or 3 clips with 01, 02, 03 at the end. If I use the XDcam browser not only do I see the missing clips but the spanned clip-not clips. Is this a 10.4 bug? I am on Sierra using MacBook Pro's, MacPro's and a SAN. All of our machines are acting the same way. Any solutions out there?

Return to posts index

Nathan Maskey
on Jan 4, 2018 at 1:57:35 pm

Hi, completely new on here but felt i should leave a message to say i am experiencing exactly the same thing. Don't usually use Sony ex 3's but just did a multi camera live switch job using them. Every time I try and launch fcp 10.4 it crashes, if I have an xdcam sd card already plugged in or if I plug one in whilst fcp 10.4 is already running. I have no prior knowledge to using xdcam with fcp prior to 10.4 so I can't be of much help there, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I was able to get around this issue as we always record individual camera feeds back at the switcher via hyper deck minis, but also record internally on whatever camera's we are using. On this occasion I was very glad I did. Hope someone finds a solution.

Return to posts index

Mark Slocombe
on Jan 10, 2018 at 2:04:45 pm

Update from me: have been away from office since original post, but today filmed some XDCAM, popped the SD card into iMac with FCPX 10.4 (no update) open... and no crash. Media imported / transcoded ok to FCP X too.. I have no explanation but thought I'd share.

Mark Slocombe
London, England

Return to posts index

Dan Svoboda
on Jan 11, 2018 at 7:39:23 pm

Yes I am experiencing this issue too. I ended up being able to import the cards after several crashes, however the files were not spanned correctly. Very odd behavior, I tried on an old 10.1 system with no issues.

Return to posts index

Jim Antera Ross
on Jan 18, 2018 at 4:10:00 am

Throwing this out there, hoping it helps:
iMac 27" Late 2015
FCP X 10.4
OS X 10.13.2

I have the same problem -- with the SD Card with my XDCAM files plugged in, FCP X 10.4 closes within a few seconds. FCP X works fine without the SD Card plugged in.

Sony Catalyst Browse 2017.3.0.192 accesses my XDCAM files (from a Sony EX1R camera) on the SD Card without problems.

With SD card plugged in, try opening FCP X 10.4.
Error message :

Crashed Thread: 2 Dispatch queue: com.apple.proapps.xdcam.radplugin.requestqueue

Pro Video Formats v2.0.6, installed with FCP X 10.4
"Pro Video Formats includes support for...
Apple Intermediate Codec
Apple ProRes
XDCAM EX / HD / HD422"

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Jan 18, 2018 at 11:39:43 am

Not experiencing this problem in FCPX 10.4/High Sierra when importing from EX1r USB output.

Return to posts index

Chad Mitchell
on Jan 18, 2018 at 2:59:56 pm

Having this issue in 10.4 with SD card from Sony FS5 - not reading my card clips in import dialogue on my new mac pro. I tried at home last night on my iMac and it worked perfectly...Both on Sierra. Very strange. I'm using a USB 3.0 card reader on the mac pro if that matters...

Return to posts index

Josh Kaye-Carr
on Jan 18, 2018 at 7:59:45 pm

Also experiencing this problem in separate MacBook Pro Retinas running different OS versions (High Sierra and Sierra) while running FCPX v10.4. Using Sony EX-1 camcorder and Sony SxS cards. This problem only appears to have started after upgrading to the latest version of FCPX.

FCPX launches as expected but immediately crashes upon insertion of SxS card into Sony reader. Copying the BPAV containerized files over to the external RAID does not help, FCPX now crashes on attempted import of those files. I have not found a workaround yet, so I am completely dead in the water when it comes to importing from the EX-1. I do not see a lot of discussion about this problem and am afraid that it is limited to a small number of users. Any assistance would be most appreciated because if we do not get a solution on workaround soon, we will need to look at alternative editing solutions after using only FCPX. Very discouraging to say the least.

Return to posts index

Dan Svoboda
on Jan 18, 2018 at 8:19:12 pm

That is interesting, because I am able to import if copying the BPAV folder over. Have you tried using XDCAM transfer or Catalyst browse from Sony? I was also able to ingest that way.

Also make sure you file feedback with apple here.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

The more people write about this the more they will see.

Return to posts index

Josh Kaye-Carr
on Jan 19, 2018 at 12:41:02 am

The latest version of XDCAM Transfer I found on the Sony site is 2.12 and it will not run under Sierra/High Sierra. Catalyst Browse will allow an import, but as soon as I ask FCPX to import anything, it crashes. Sigh......

Return to posts index

Graham Read
on Jan 19, 2018 at 1:24:21 am

Hi Josh,
I'm using XDCAM Browser V2.1 (2.1.0.248) on both a Sierra MacPro and a clean install Retina MacBook Pro with High Sierra and both work for me including being able to export to FCPx although I don't use that facility.

Return to posts index

Dan Svoboda
on Jan 19, 2018 at 1:34:56 am

Yes I get the same message when trying to install from Sonys website, but I copied the app from another machine and it works.

Can you transcode the files in compressor? or MPEG Streamclip?

Return to posts index

Graham Read
on Jan 19, 2018 at 1:47:28 am

Hi again Josh.

I'm starting to see a pattern here which may help.

1 - Before FCP 10.4 I never had these problems
2 - The crashing problem only happens with FCP 10.4 and High Sierra combination.
3 - The crash only happens if there are camera clips that are longer than 4GB - because the BPAV folder structure of EX-1/EX-3 cameras use FAT32 format so the camera "seamlessly" subdivides them into 4GB clips and most editing software apps hide this complexity and present long clips as just a single long clip instead of the _01, _02 that is there if you browse the folder structure in Finder.
4 - FCP 10.4 does not crash in High Sierra if the media card only has short clips.
5 - FCP 10.4 has lost the ability to interpret correctly the BPAV folder structure.
6 - If recording really long clips that are larger than one camera card, the camera spans to another card - This is unworkable in FCP 10.4 even on Sierra as at least one 4GB mp4 sub clip will not appear in the import browser and therefore not be importable. This is infuriating.

My workaround: I now use Adobe Media Encoder to transcode my long form XDCAM EX files to ProRes then import into FCP 10.4 - reminiscent of FCP 7.0 10 years ago with XDCAM Transfer! Can also use Sony XDCAM Browser to Export to FCP 10.4 but Browser is discontinued so doesn't fully support FCPx since introduction of Libraries. You can however export to a folder and then import from there into FCPx.

Advice to Sony BPAV camera users - Don't upgrade main edit system to High Sierra - If I knew about this I would have not upgraded to FCP 10.4 either - colour tools are good but it's screwed my workflow.

Please everybody experiencing this file a bug report from within FCP 10.4 then maybe it will get fixed!

Return to posts index

Mark Slocombe
on Jan 19, 2018 at 9:25:22 am

Good summary Graham... your point

4 - FCP 10.4 does not crash in High Sierra if the media card only has short clips.

explains why things worked out for me as per my last post - was using short clips only

Mark Slocombe
London, England

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Jan 19, 2018 at 6:52:04 pm

Likewise for me - only tried using short clips.

Return to posts index

Josh Kaye-Carr
on Jan 19, 2018 at 9:42:35 pm

Hi Graham....thanks for your detailed message. Here's what I have:

1 - Agreed, same with me. This all started after 10.4
2 - Happens on my 2 machines one of which runs Sierra, the other runs High Sierra.
3 - It doesn't seem to matter how big the file is, or at least I never get far enough to find out since FCPX crashes immediately on SxS card insertion. If I copy the BPAV folder over to the RAID, it crashes on import command, so I can't import anything, BPAV or otherwise.
4 - Doesn't matter, short or long, it crashes on card insertion or upon program launch if a card is already in the reader.
5 - Ugh.
6 - Infuriating doesn't begin to cover it. I'm about ready to jump ship and go to Avid or Adobe.

I wish I could use your workaround, but since FCPX crashes on import, there doesn't seem to be any way to get ANYTHING into the editor.

Sigh...............

Return to posts index

Graham Read
on Jan 19, 2018 at 10:23:00 pm

Hi Josh,
Sorry to hear you are crashing in Sierra too. I've certainly not had that.
Try the XDCAM Browser way - you can get it from the Sony website.
1 Use the browser to navigate to either a camera card or a HD copy.
2 Right click on one or more thumbnails and select the 2nd option "Import into Final Cut Pro"
3 Select Execute on the next dialogue and the default is to create a folder in you Movies folder
4 Once that's done it gives you the option to import into a Library and will launch FCP if it's not already open.
5 You could either quit FCP, eject SxS card, launch FCP then import from the new Movies folder file or just try to eject the card before FCP finishes launching. (assuming is still crashes)

The crucial difference is that this method re-wraps the file into a regular MPEG2 MOV and doesn't create the BPAV structure so it should import fine.

Return to posts index

Dan Svoboda
on Jan 23, 2018 at 7:36:25 pm

I just did a test and it seems that Edit Ready works with these files fine,

Return to posts index

Timothy W Coursen
on Mar 31, 2018 at 7:32:10 pm

Based on the discussion I successfully employed another, somewhat cumbersome, work-around to the FCP 10.4/High Sierra/XDCAM upload problem:

1. Copy the large linked-clip XDCAM video file onto a drive.

2. Create a series of new folders corresponding to each of the linked video clips from within the SD card (find them in a sub folder named CLPR).

3. Within each of the individual newly created clip folders create a nested series of sub-folders matching the XDCAM file structure (private>SONY>BPAV>CLPR).

4. From inside the original BPAV folder (see step 1) duplicate the files into each of the newly created BPAV folders (CUEUP.XML, General, MEDIAPRO.XML, TAKR).

5. Individually copy each of the linked video clip folders (from the original CLPR folder) into their own new separated folder. The video clip folder should include all of the additional contents (the MP4 video file, and .SMI, .PPN, .XML, .BIN files).

Since they don't exceed the 4GB limit, Final Cut Pro 10.4 will import them as separate video clips that you can link back together again in the edit timeline.

Return to posts index

Chris Reddall
on Apr 3, 2018 at 12:08:11 pm

Also suffered from this issue with crashing in High Sierra and 10.4.

Rolled back to Sierra and had the issue of it not showing all of the video footage and not linking files to make one complete clip from BPAV XDCAM folders with 10.4.

Only way we have managed to keep using Final Cut is to use an old 10.3.4 version which works fine with Sierra - although can no longer open any 10.4 projects with 10.3.4.

To have to use work arounds (other software/transcoding, etc) for such basic things as importing XDCAM footage in to and edit system is not at all acceptable. Can't believe they haven't released a version that fixes this issue yet.

We've submitted bug reports a couple of times to Apple about this over the last few months.

Here's hoping they fix it soon!

Return to posts index

Graham Read
on Apr 10, 2018 at 12:25:52 am

Yet to try it but Apple released FCPX 10.4.1 today adding a couple of new features but addressing a lot of bugs including the spanned clips XDCAM issue and the crashing in High Sierra. Only downside is that the new version only works in High Sierra and above which is why I've not tried it yet as I still need DVD Studio Pro for regular work. Going to have to look at a dual boot system...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]