FORUMS: list search recent posts

How risky is it to jump to 10.4? (mid project)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Watts
How risky is it to jump to 10.4? (mid project)
on Dec 20, 2017 at 8:14:26 pm

I never update during a project, but several days ago I decided to load fcpx 10.4 on a second system to begin learning the new color tools.

To my surprise, 10.4 loaded automatically on my main editing system, a 2013 mac pro 64 gb ram.
Is 10.4 buggy?
Is it creating any problems for anyone?
Is it affecting plugins?
How risky is it if I finish a long 2 hour documentary on 10.4? OR should I use time machine and go back to 10.3X?

Since the new 10.4 means updating libraries it looks like a no going back once I update them. I can use some experienced advice! THX

My mac pro is still on Sierra, my second system is an iMac and i updated to High Sierra on it.

I'm very nervous!

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: How risky is it to jump to 10.4? (mid project)
on Dec 21, 2017 at 3:03:37 am

I’ve had zero issues with 10.4 so far but I haven’t done any major work with it yet. No issues with any plugins either. I’d suggest backing up your projects before they’re updated and keep a copy of 10.3 handy in case you have to roll back.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 21, 2017 at 2:15:07 pm

It's never a good idea to jump mid-project but I have and I've had no serious issues so far

"Traditional NLEs have timelines. FCPX has storylines" W.Soyka

Return to posts index

Diego Barraza
on Dec 21, 2017 at 1:21:05 pm

I have also updated mid project (since it was a forced update), and besides a annoying wait for the project to update, all is working fine and I have had no headaches with it. Maybe the only thing was the distraction to play with the new colour wheel setup ☺
Good luck with your project!

Diego Barraza
SaGuarda Studios Ltd.
Sussex, UK

Return to posts index

Mark Slocombe
on Dec 22, 2017 at 1:51:27 pm

Hi - (I posted this in its own post but maybe more useful here) - I suggest not changing if you use XDCAM:

If I open FCP x 10.4 while an XDCAM SD card is inserted in iMac, FCP crashes.
Same if I insert the card when FCP already open.
Same on 2 iMacs, both High Sierra, both 10.4.
Copied card to external HD, import from there = same crash
Dragging the xdcam mp4 from card to Import Media = a green-coloured imported file
Tried in iMovie = same green import.

Anyone else got this? I can workaround using Handbrake to transcode the XDCAM mp4 but not ideal.

Mark Slocombe
http://www.creationvideo.com
London, England

Return to posts index

Graham Read
on Jan 2, 2018 at 4:21:42 pm

Never a good idea mid-project.
If you use Sony XDCAM EX don't upgrade yet - there are a number of issues regarding importing footage that are causing me problems. I've not tested with XDCAM HD (MXF).
I get issues with 10.4 on Sierra but a more serious complete crash on a clean install with High Sierra when connecting camera media either via a card reader or a HD backup copy.
As Mark says above, we're forced to transcode by other means before importing which is like editing on FCP 7.0 again - Progress they say!

Return to posts index

Sven-Jan Hägnemo
on Jan 4, 2018 at 2:19:12 am

Well you got two machines so finish your work where you know it works.

For those who only have one machine you can use a partition to test 10.4 before you commit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]