FORUMS: list search recent posts

How are we all getting on with 10.4?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
How are we all getting on with 10.4?
on Dec 17, 2017 at 11:13:07 am

It certainly seems faster to me in day to day operations, I love the new CC controls, but I'm getting occasional crashes when I use them and I even had a kernel panic yesterday, something I haven't had in a long while!

I assume its the usual thing with any .0 software and the devs will be gathering crash data to improve the next maintenance release.

It's also fixed the High Sierra issues that I had with dual screens, which is nice!

"Traditional NLEs have timelines. FCPX has storylines" W.Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: How are we all getting on with 10.4?
on Dec 17, 2017 at 4:31:33 pm

I haven’t updated to High Sierra yet.

For the most part, things are good. Nice improvements and our GoPro Fusion will now show some value.

The new color tools are great. I like the new Role based clip selector although I don’t know why we can’t have that just be a “next video clip” selector. Even so, keyboard timeline navigation is faster and better than ever.

The only performace drag seems to be a very choppy playback UI with 3rd party video out. The AJA software probably needs an update which I’m sure will come soon. The video out is OK, it’s just the UI that’s super choppy.

What I am wondering now is how much 360 information will carry over via XML to other packages.

Overall, I’m pleased. I’d still like to see a little more nuts and bolts UI updates, (you know, the boring stuff) but I can see that there was some time needed to implement these new 360 tools, even if they don’t fill needs for all users.

I’m also curious about iMac Pro performance vs MacPro Tubes; but I’m sure those shootouts are coming soon.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Dec 18, 2017 at 2:41:23 pm

Getting along good. Using it with High Sierra. Loving the new color tools, but when I save out a correction/animation to become a preset, is it normal for the preset to leave out the keyframe animation? All in all, very cool.

sw

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Visual Storyteller
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Jeff Beaumont
on Dec 18, 2017 at 3:03:56 pm

I am seeing a lot of crashes with Compound Clips. I have a 2010 MacPro running the latest Sierra 10.12.6.
If I avoid using compound clips its pretty stable and when it does crash I don't loose any work.
Not having Compound Clips is a huge bummer for me and I hope they fix it soon.

Otherwise its great. I'll never use the 360 features but I am loving the color correction. So great I can choose the default CC method ... good riddance to the Color Board!

Jeff Beaumont

Words, Images, Sound
jeff-beaumont.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 18, 2017 at 4:38:47 pm

How does it do with de-fisheye-ing GoPro footage?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 18, 2017 at 6:22:48 pm

360 footage must be equirectangular (stitched panoramas).

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 18, 2017 at 9:27:45 pm

Not 360, just flattening a single wide-angle GoPro shot.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Carter
on Dec 19, 2017 at 2:00:36 am

I am also on 10.12.6, and getting constant crashes with layered PSD files. They are completely unusable. Maybe that compound clip problem you're having...

Only workaround is to use JPG's.

Anyone else with this problem?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 19, 2017 at 2:37:11 pm

I usually wait till I open all my presents under the tree and have a hot cocoa in my hands 😉

All kidding aside, I got burned too many times with OS/App updates (thanks, Adobe) so I'm going to wait till you all have your run at it 😉

Happy Holidays!!

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Dec 19, 2017 at 5:39:44 pm

I'm with you, Eric. I'll wait for the new bugs to be corrected.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures
Capturing Your Life's Adventures!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 19, 2017 at 4:34:20 pm

You’re still on the t-tap? I went back to BMD Ultrastudio express after the finally fixed the crashing. I was always afraid the t-tap would spontaneously ignite. That thing was hot! Anyone know if BMD devices have any issues with 10.4?

I have High Sierra and 10.4 on a different system. Late 2012 iMac. But there I just have a second display attached with a TB to HDMI cable. All is well except when the second display is attached, the computer just keeps turning on and off every few minutes when it’s in sleep mode. Well, not really on, but the screen lights up to an almost black, and then goes back to sleep. Disconnect the 2nd display and it stops. I’ve heard of other 2nd display issues with HDMI on High Sierra / FCPX - not just 10.4.

Outliner http://bretfx.com/product/outliner/
Clock Maker http://bretfx.com/product/bretfx-clock-maker/

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Dec 19, 2017 at 5:35:17 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "The only performace drag seems to be a very choppy playback UI with 3rd party video out. The AJA software probably needs an update which I’m sure will come soon. The video out is OK, it’s just the UI that’s super choppy."

I've got a similar UI choppiness - playhead redraws about once per second during playback, but not always (maybe 40% of the time). Like you, video plays fine. Unlike you, I'm not using any secondary video out, only my primary monitor.

Trashcan w/10.12.6, Areca8050TB2, and FCPX 10.4

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

charlie seetoh
on Dec 19, 2017 at 5:41:55 pm

We are on FCPX 10.4, BM latest Desktop Video 10.9.7, BM UltaStudio output to FSI Monitor.
Video stuttered when A/V Output option is turned on, especially at the start of the sequence.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 19, 2017 at 6:16:43 pm

[Doug Metz] "I've got a similar UI choppiness - playhead redraws about once per second during playback, but not always (maybe 40% of the time). Like you, video plays fine. Unlike you, I'm not using any secondary video out, only my primary monitor.
"

I have the same, just started seeing this

"Traditional NLEs have timelines. FCPX has storylines" W.Soyka

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Dec 21, 2017 at 2:44:23 am
Last Edited By Warren Eig on Dec 22, 2017 at 4:05:10 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "The AJA software probably needs an update which I’m sure will come soon."

It does. They have a beta available. Give tech support a call.

The new driver for 10.4 is officially out!

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Dec 20, 2017 at 6:06:50 pm

I never update during a project, but several days ago I decided to load fcpx 10.4 on a second system to begin learning the new color tools.

To my surprise, 10.4 loaded automatically on my main editing system, a 2013 mac pro 64 gb ram.
Is 10.4 buggy?
Is it creating any problems for anyone?
Is it affecting plugins?
How risky is it if I finish a long 2 hour documentary on 10.4? OR should I use time machine and go back to 10.3X?

Since the new 10.4 means updating libraries it looks like a no going back once I update them. I can use some experienced advice! THX

My mac pro is still on Sierra, my second system is an iMac and i updated to High Sierra on it.

I'm very nervous!

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Dec 20, 2017 at 8:38:42 pm

I'd still wait until the dust settles and the new bugs are exterminated. I never upgrade anything in mid-project. When I feel High Sierra and FCPX 10.4 are ready for Primetime I'll upgrade.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures
Capturing Your Life's Adventures!

Return to posts index

Rikki Blow
on Dec 26, 2017 at 1:26:04 pm

I just wish they'd sorted out some legacy bugs before bringing in all the new 360 stuff etc which many of us will never use, and those desperate to work in 360 were already using other software.

For example, how about making it so that all the text in list mode in the browser doesn't suddenly disappear from time to time - people have been reporting this for years - if anything it seems to be happening more often in 10.4. Other text, like the time indicators when you move clips slightly in the timeline, also seems to be blanking out more than before - although again by no means a new bug.

Also, the much documented wish that searching favourites would bring up just a list of favourites, and not all the enclosing clips with closed disclosure triangles. So frustrating for a supposedly data-rich system.

Return to posts index

Chad Smith
on Feb 16, 2018 at 2:52:07 am

Does anyone else see issues when output via thunderbolt I/O? I have tested AJA T-Tap BMD UltraStudio Extreme 4k and UltraStudio Mini Monitor. Bars for instance look fine on the internal FCPX 10.4 scopes. However when outputting to my Tektronix the bars are not good. I am seeing a shift in the Red and Green channels and out of gamut errors.

If I take the same QT file and bring it into FCPX 10.3 and output to the Tek scope I do NOT see the issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]