FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using FCPX and creating and Audio Description track

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Heck
Using FCPX and creating and Audio Description track
on Dec 11, 2017 at 9:38:18 pm

Hi all.

I do a lot of video for the blind and we add in audio description (AD) tracks that describe for the blind or those with trouble seeing exactly what's happening on screen. When we do these for a particular client, they just want one MP4 file with everything mixed, easy peasy. However I have another client that is wanting the ability to turn on and off the AD descriptor depending on the audience. The final output has to be MP4. Anyone ever done this and, if so, would you mind sharing how? I know you can assign roles to tracks but how do you make it so the viewer has the ability to turn a track off and on? Thanks for any info.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Using FCPX and creating and Audio Description track
on Dec 11, 2017 at 10:44:45 pm

Here's a starting point:

http://www.automaticsync.com/sbx17/embedding-captions-mp4-video/

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Dec 11, 2017 at 11:00:30 pm

Noah, Jeff is talking about "blind" people not "deaf".

I would love to help, but currently no idea how to.

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 12, 2017 at 12:57:19 am

How do they plan to play it back?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jeff Heck
on Dec 12, 2017 at 12:29:38 pm

The videos are for the blind. Basically I need to have the ability to offer a secondary audio track that would allow the client to turn it off an on for the visually impaired. I know that Youtube and Apple OS now have the ability to read this secondary, or AD channel, where you can turn it off and on. Comcast is also offering it through their X1 format. Comcast uses the SAP channel for it. If a program is not AD, then most likely you'll get the Spanish audio track. On a DVD, very easy, but as an MP4, I'm struggling. I'm doing more research into this today, but wondered if someone had already done something like this. I not only need to figure out how to do this, but how to test it as well.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

Jeff Heck
on Dec 12, 2017 at 3:34:36 pm

Here's what I came up with. On the timeline, I detached my original audio from the video that came in. I duplicated this audio and copied it to the timeline on a separate line. I added in my narration audio description that was recorded locally. I assigned the original audio with the video to an audio role of dialogue. I then highlighted my copied original audio track along with my added in audio description and set that audio role as effect. For output, I selected share > master file (default) and selected settings. I selected format video and audio, video codec H264, and at the bottom roles as multitrack quicktime movie. When I export out, I can bring it into VLC player and if I select audio track one, I get the original track only. If I select track two, I get my audio descrption and the original track as well. Just have to make sure the H264 is acceptable. I cannot get the MP4 to do this.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 12, 2017 at 4:36:53 pm

So are you saying the regular multitrack quicktime works but Mp4 doesn't?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jeff Heck
on Dec 12, 2017 at 5:19:15 pm

So far, yes. When exporting from FCPX you don't get the MP4 multitrack option like the H264 MOV format. Going to trying send to Compressor to see if there's something there I can do. I'm not sure if this is a common thing or not. It's new for me.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

Jeff Heck
on Dec 12, 2017 at 5:20:05 pm

In other words, in VLC player with the H264 I can choose track one or two. With the MP4 version it's only one track.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

Jeff Heck
on Dec 12, 2017 at 5:38:55 pm

So there is an option in VLC player that lets me save this as a m4v file. I experimented and renamed it MP4 and hit save. Worked. Want to do more testing but this may have done it. Doesn't feel right but so far it works.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

Jeff Heck
on Dec 13, 2017 at 10:34:59 pm

Final update. Sorenson squeeze 11 will take my multi tracked MOV file and create a multitrack MP4 file. Really, really easy. Thanks to those who helped out!

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]