FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Shutting Down my Mac ??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Bennett
FCPX Shutting Down my Mac ??
on Nov 27, 2017 at 8:22:19 am

Awhile back when I was new to FCPX I quickly found that I could not SHARE any of my videos to H.264 High Quality. If I did my iMac would shut down. Today it started shutting down when I tried to SHARE to H.264 Fast, which has always worked for me. And then the same when I SHAREed to a MOV file.

This started Sunday afternoon; my Mac would shut down while it was SHARE (rendering) an H.264 Fast file. Twice it did that. So I rendered it again to another drive and babysat it and it did complete the render. Then I started the SHARE to a MOV file and when I came back the Mac had rebooted and was waiting for me to enter my password.

So the question is why is FCPX SHARE causing my Mac to shut down? It’s been doing fine for a long time with no problem. And I’ve rendered this same show over and over over the past 2 weeks with on problem. Suddenly Sunday afternoon it won’t SHARE without shutting down my iMac. Unless I sit here and keep the computer active with other small things. It’s like if it is left along to render and with no interaction on my part, Mac goes to sleep and shuts down when it should still be processing my file.

What wrong here???? Help!!

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures
Capturing Your Life's Adventures!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX Shutting Down my Mac ??
on Nov 27, 2017 at 1:35:56 pm

Definitely an odd problem.

I would reset your nvram and smc. Instructions here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

If none of that works, I’d boot in to recovery mode and repair the disk.

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Nov 27, 2017 at 7:05:20 pm

Here is more detail to my process and set up.

FCPX is installed on my iMac 27 (Late 2013).
3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
32GB 1600Mhz DDR3
NVIDA GeForce GTX 780M 4096MB

All FCPX video data and files/folders stored on external 9TB RAID-5.

From day 1 I have SHARED (rendered) my FCPX MP4 (Fast) and MOV files to my Mac Drive. This has worked fine until yesterday. That is when FCPX started shutting down sometime during the SHARE process. I've SHARED 2 renderings (1 MP4-Fast and 1 MOV) to my RAID and they completed the process.

So it is looking like something has gone a bit "south" on my Mac Drive.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Nov 27, 2017 at 7:51:29 pm

You can spend weeks trying to track down weird issues like this so I’d personally bite the bullet and do a clean install of the entire Mac. If that doesn’t fix the issue then I’d suspect some sort of fault with the graphics card.

I had issues a couple of years ago with FCPX freezing the entire computer when rendering which, when a clean install didn’t clear it up, turned out to be a faulty GPU. Every other app worked fine, it was just FCPX that triggered it.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Nov 27, 2017 at 9:48:31 pm

How much free space have you got on your system drive? If you're low on space and trying to render a big file, weird things can happen.

Does it ever shut down / reboot during edit?

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Nov 28, 2017 at 2:19:58 am

Yes, Doug. That's what is was doing when I was rendering to my system drive. Seemed to not do it when I rendered to my external RAID. BUT... several minutes ago when I was having Compressor rendering the Mac had rebooted. Not sure where those files were being rendered to. Gotta check. Well those 2 renders were to my RAID but only one finished so Mac shut down during the render of the second one.

So still not 100% sure the system drive was the problem. I need a FCPX/Mac guru on this one.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 28, 2017 at 3:03:29 am

Did you reset the SMC and pram yet?

Did you repair the drive?

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Dec 1, 2017 at 7:07:25 pm

Repaired the drive but it was OK. I'll get to the other things today.

THX for checking.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]