FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scaling to the same place over and over shortcuts

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dusty Taylor
Scaling to the same place over and over shortcuts
on Nov 25, 2017 at 10:07:07 pm

I’m looking for simple solution on a question that’s hard to articulate. I’m shooting for a church a static shot of a worship team. I’m shooting in 4K footage and exporting at 720. I have lots of pixels to play with. I cut to the lead worship guy he stands still behind a mic stand. Then I cut to another vocalist behind a keyboard. Then I cut to another shot of the Drummer. Again, the camera doesn’t move. All the pans and zooms are done in post.

Is there a way to set up a shortcut to automatically cut to those spots. Another words every time I want to cut to a shot of the worship leader I don’t want to have to scale it up, click the transform button, move the camera around. I want to blade the end of the cut, and click a button or two to jump to the close up. Anyway This is possible? I hope this makes sense.

Since we are editing these videos every week, it would make sense to invest the time to set up the template.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Scaling to the same place over and over shortcuts
on Nov 25, 2017 at 10:39:46 pm

Copy and paste effects.

Return to posts index

Dusty Taylor
on Nov 25, 2017 at 11:13:54 pm

Yes and Duh. Why didn't I think of that. Although, we'd have to select the clip we want to change first and copy. It would be great to just have 5 or 6 options waiting.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 25, 2017 at 11:22:38 pm

You could have as many Roles as camera angles. Set up the role and position parameters on one clip for each Role. Continue down the timeline making edits, right click the clip and assign the role, keep doing this until you are done.

At the end, Open the timeline index, enter the role in the search field, select copy the first in the list, then select the rest of the list and “paste effects”. Do that for the remaining Roles.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Matt Galuszewski
on Nov 25, 2017 at 10:51:20 pm

Ignoring the zooming and panning - If you only want to cut to portions of your 4K image then why not create a multicam clip at the 720 export resolution.

Add angles for each of the scaled positions and place the same piece of footage on each angle. Set spacial conform to none for each clip. Adjust position of each clip and scale above 100% if necessary.

You can now view angles for each 'virtual' camera.

Ue multicam to edit cutting to each 'virtual' camera as needed.

Return to posts index

Dusty Taylor
on Nov 25, 2017 at 11:15:33 pm

Yes! Not sure how to do that. I'll dial up Youtube. That's exactly what I'm thinking. Like Jeremy mentioned in the previous post, if I have more complicated shots with zooms and pans, I could just copy and paste. Hopefully with the 2 of these things we can speed up this process. Thanks men!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 28, 2017 at 10:00:39 pm

I've got a question.

in FCP classic you had the ability to assign up to 9 saved "motion paths" to keyboard shortcuts.
which means that you can select a clip or range of clips, hit a key combo, and BAM! your new desired framing is applied

is there something similar in FCPX?

nick

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 29, 2017 at 4:27:45 am

[Nick Meyers] "is there something similar in FCPX?"

You can only copy attributes from one clip and paste those same attributes to many clips. There’s also a “paste effects” which pastes all the audio and video effects and keyframes. Paste attributes allows you to choose which attributes and effects you paste.

There is no way to store more than one set of attributes that I know of.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 29, 2017 at 5:14:05 am

that's a pity.
so many things about FCPX sound great,
it's a shame good features have been lost.

nick

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Nov 30, 2017 at 8:49:05 pm

Here is a quick Motion Template I made: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dr1odgoxx4wxzsx/Scale%20and%20Position.zip?dl=0

Put in Movies:Motion Templates: Effects

You can adjust Scale and Position Parameters and then save an Effect Preset for each angle.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]