FORUMS: list search recent posts

What are all standard screen resolution settings for videos being played back on laptops.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jon alva
What are all standard screen resolution settings for videos being played back on laptops.
on Oct 14, 2011 at 9:29:42 am

I am making videos to sell for church ministry. I am using fcpx. I have compresser 4. The people who download the videos will only use the videos to playback on there PC's and Mac's, to display on the projectors or TV's in classrooms.The videos will be downloadable via my website. So I like to kept them nice and acceptable and small. What is the best screen resolution I should give them to fill the overall settings of tv's and projectors? What is the best Compresser 4 settings I should give them? What video Codec to use? How many different screen resolution sizes?

My guess is

.mov, H.264, 1280x720 aac 128, uncheck add clean aperture info
video settings current frames, Auto, fast encode

Also same settings with a 640x480

I just don't want to give everyone a good screen resolution that they can work with, and playback with no problem.

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
Re: What are all standard screen resolution settings for videos being played back on laptops.
on Oct 14, 2011 at 1:21:58 pm

Jon, I often use a tool put out by Adobe that helps with the proper sizes and data rates. It's here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/apps/flv_bitrate_calculator.html

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
Re: What are all standard screen resolution settings for videos being played back on laptops.
on Oct 14, 2011 at 1:23:09 pm

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/apps/flv_bitrate_calculator.html

Final Cut Pro 7, FCX, Mac OS-X 10.6.8, Quicktime 7.6.6, Adobe Prod Prem CS5.5, Kona-LHe, 6TB RAID-5

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Oct 14, 2011 at 1:29:59 pm

[jon alva] "What is the best screen resolution I should give them to fill the overall settings of tv's and projectors? What is the best Compresser 4 settings I should give them? What video Codec to use? How many different screen resolution sizes?
"

Projectors? best? TVs too?

Probably your best bet is to (if shot 1080) to deliver:
1920x1080 (1080 video)
1260x720 (720 video)
and
960x540 (1/4 size 1080)

Let them pick and use following presets
1080 - use the Apple HD for Apple Devices 10mb - but change the geometry to 100% (consider bumping the data rate to 14 meg or so)
720 - use the Apple HD for Apple Devices 10mb
540 - use the same Apple HD setting, change the geometry to 50% and drop the data rate to 4mbs.

You'll have versions people can look at on their iOS devices (1080,720)
You'll let someone pick the one to watch on their projector based on size (any of the three)
Ditto with a computer

These will be h.264 mpeg 4 files, and will work on both OSX and Win7

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

jon alva
on Oct 14, 2011 at 6:58:41 pm

I am guessing I should start in pro ress 422?, and export to those setting you described. Also just to make sure will these settings work great for every tv. Including old tv's, and new tv's?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Oct 14, 2011 at 7:20:12 pm

This depends on your footage - what are you giving FCPX?

Those settings won't work on a DVD - and better settings could be had for Blu-Ray;

If you let us know how you're delivering your footage, it's easier to give you an idea of what settings to use. The Apple Settings are great starting points in compressor. In your original post, you said you'd be playing back from a Mac or a PC

"The people who download the videos will only use the videos to playback on there PC's and Mac's, to display on the projectors or TV's in classrooms." If they're connected to a computer, the settings above are good.

Best,

Jeff G

------------
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com

Return to posts index

jon alva
on Oct 15, 2011 at 1:46:11 am

I am making the videos to be downloaded for purchase on my website. The people who buy them will only use them on there laptops, Most churches use propresenter or media shout. I have started out with pro res 422. I have searched the web and people who sell videos to churches mostly use 720x480 or 720x486. What gets confusing is if they don't use a program like pro presenter. How will there video that they purchase from me match there Hd tv, or projector, or old tv? I started out with 1280x 720 on my first video should I start over and make it 1920x1080? I make cartoon like stuff for children ministry. I can start it in any screen resolution. Also is it 1280x720 or 1260 x 720? I am sorry for all the ?'s I have been looking everywhere for this answer. I am not offering a dvd to them, only for them to playback video on there laptops.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Oct 15, 2011 at 11:31:05 am

[jon alva] " I have searched the web and people who sell videos to churches mostly use 720x480 or 720x486"

This is standard definition; many people download the video and put it on a DVD.

[jon alva] "How will there video that they purchase from me match there Hd tv, or projector, or old tv?"
I think you mean, "how will they play back their video that they purchase? "
Some may make DVDs (old TVs), some may or may not have a computer plugged into a projector. If they're using a projector that doesn't match, it scales down.

[jon alva] "I started out with 1280x 720 on my first video should I start over and make it 1920x1080?"
No. Never scale up. Either you shot in 1080 or you shot in 720 (We describe video by the vertical resolution - there are two HD forms, 1080 and 720.) Whatever you shot is the highest quality - and our starting point.

[jon alva] " I can start it in any screen resolution. Also is it 1280x720 or 1260 x 720? "
1280x720.

[jon alva] "I am sorry for all the ?'s I have been looking everywhere for this answer. "
Jon, that's what creative cow is for - answering questions like this!

Best,

Jeff G

------------

Return to posts index

jon alva
on Oct 15, 2011 at 8:44:26 pm

I am making video trivia for kids. I make the background pic in keynote export it to 1920x1080, I add the text in final cut. I am using prores 422. So I start in 1920x 1080 so no problem if I want to make a 1280x720, or anything under that? I am getting 20 mb when exporting to apple devise setting. I think I my go with the propreseter settings, because most of my customers will use those settings

.mov h.264
current frames
auto
and fast encode

the pro presenter settings came out to 3.9 mb which maybe faster to download from my website.
For some reason when I make those files they look excellent, and are very small 3.9 mb for 1 min video,

I had trouble changing the apple device settings in compresser 4 because the settings where all grayed out. compresser 4 wouldn't let me make any changes to the geometry. It was all grayed out. How can I change those settings?

If I only could choose two screen resolution in propreseter settings what would they be? What 2 screen resolution would make sense to put on projectors, hd tv;s, and old t.v's?

also If I could only pick 3 screen resolutions what would they be?, and why would it be better than 2?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]