FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow suggestion needed.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wu Zhengjiang
Workflow suggestion needed.
on Nov 8, 2017 at 2:48:12 am

I usually convert all my footages into mov by Final Cut Pro X.
The reasons are: 1, we only serve local clients, so many footages are reusable. Converting MXF into mov gives me the convenience of quick look in Finder. Since MXF files won't display thumbnails in Finder, which is very annoying when I try to find certain footages in Finder.
2, Preserve timecode of some cameras, for example Sony A7, the time code won't be recognized by FCPX if I just copy the footages out of camera cards. And I always hate all those xml files in cards, so I chose to get rid of them.

FCPX does a good job of converting footages, the Slog files will remain same quality after converting. But there is one trouble. Those mov files could only be opened in FCPX, DaVinci Resolve and quick look in Finder, but not Premiere, After Effects, and Fusion, also almost all video players couldn't play them, except Quicktime.
But I have to use them in After Effects and Fusion sometime.
So is there a better way to convert those footages or handle my situation?

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: Workflow suggestion needed.
on Nov 8, 2017 at 2:02:08 pm

[Wu Zhengjiang] "I usually convert all my footages into mov by Final Cut Pro X.
The reasons are: 1, we only serve local clients, so many footages are reusable. Converting MXF into mov gives me the convenience of quick look in Finder. Since MXF files won't display thumbnails in Finder, which is very annoying when I try to find certain footages in Finder...FCPX does a good job of converting footages, the Slog files will remain same quality after converting. But there is one trouble. Those mov files could only be opened in FCPX, DaVinci Resolve and quick look in Finder, but not Premiere, After Effects, and Fusion, also almost all video players couldn't play them, except Quicktime.."

MXF is a wrapper format so there could be various codecs inside. The 4k 4:2:2 300 mbps MXF material I have from a Canon XC10 plays OK via Quick Look and Quicktime Player, however the thumbnails don't show in Finder. For me this isn't a major issue since I always import all content to FCPX with "leave files in place" and organize it there. The FCPX skimmer is much faster than any external product for viewing and categorizing material.

You may need Apple Pro Video Formats installed to enable MXF playback or maybe you have a version where the codec isn't supported at the Finder level: http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/11/22/apple-pro-video-formats-2-0-5-update-...

Rewrapping (not transcoding) MXF can be very fast if using a tool like EditReady: https://www.divergentmedia.com/editready/understandingmxf

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 8, 2017 at 5:08:04 pm

[Wu Zhengjiang] "Since MXF files won't display thumbnails in Finder, which is very annoying when I try to find certain footages in Finder.
"

What OS are you using?

Sierra (10.12) will show MXF in quicklook, El Capitan will not (10.11).

[Wu Zhengjiang] "but not Premiere, After Effects, and Fusion, also almost all video players couldn't play them, except Quicktime.
But I have to use them in After Effects and Fusion sometime.
So is there a better way to convert those footages or handle my situation?"

This seems to point to a deeper problem with the system. All of those softwares should be able to decode .mov

Return to posts index

Wu Zhengjiang
on Nov 9, 2017 at 8:37:44 am

Thanks for the replies. I think the best way is to update to 10.12. Time to overhaul my hackintosh.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]