FORUMS: list search recent posts

transition workaround when using green screened interviews.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Watts
transition workaround when using green screened interviews.
on Oct 28, 2017 at 7:39:35 pm

I just discovered a challenge when using various transitions that are more complex. (I'm using some of the 3D one from Motion VFX, but its not just theirs)

I'm doing a documentary and have several interviews shot on a green screen. I've created new backgrounds which are on a layer below in the timeline.

When I attempt a transition whether it be 2D , 3D or other wise I loose the background during the transition and then it pops back on once complete. It makes a very odd look.

I tried making them a compound clip, but does the same thing.

Any ideas for a workaround?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: transition workaround when using green screened interviews.
on Oct 28, 2017 at 9:20:32 pm

I spent three months earlier this year doing almost nothing but editing green screen interviews and I was going to say make a compound clip, which has never failed me when it comes to transitions. Combining them into a compound clip is really the only way to apply a transition to both the foreground and background of the key.

So you’re saying the background just disappears while the transition is happening? That seems very weird. Is this with or without everything being background rendered? Just wondering if the background is dropping out because the computer is struggling to play back all the streams and apply the transition in real time.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Oct 29, 2017 at 2:07:19 am

Hmm... let me test your theory.

I'm on a 2013 mac pro so normally things play fast.

........Looks like you were right!

There must have been another longer render going that I didn't see.

I'm really glad this saved it because I'm doing a lot of these and it would be a painful time consuming workaround without compound clips!

\Thanks again!

Larry

Return to posts index

Bruce Snyder
on Nov 7, 2017 at 5:15:28 pm

I discovered a problem like this a while ago, one solution I found was, in the Compound clip, lift the clip from the main storyline, for some reason this tricks the transition in the main timeline. It solved a large variety of 'blackout' transitions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]