FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP: One or multiple libraries for Doc? looking for best solution.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Mass
FCP: One or multiple libraries for Doc? looking for best solution.
on Oct 27, 2017 at 8:45:08 pm

Hello - I was hoping someone with experience could help me solve a dilemma I'm having with FCP: I'm editing a documentary that I set up with many libraries (one per interview, etc).

This is now causing some headaches as editing a project from many libraries is seemingly forcing a lot of duplication - and just feels sloppy.
Making one giant library also seems like trouble just because of sheer size.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
Re: FCP: One or multiple libraries for Doc? looking for best solution.
on Oct 27, 2017 at 10:50:11 pm

I use a single library. You can use multiple events for different parts of the doc. Keywording and smart collections can also be used to segregate your media. I agree, dragging across libraries is a drag.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Oct 28, 2017 at 12:14:20 am

[Andrew Mass] "dilemma I'm having with FCP: I'm editing a documentary that I set up with many libraries (one per interview, etc)....This is now causing some headaches as editing a project from many libraries is seemingly forcing a lot of duplication - and just feels sloppy....Making one giant library also seems like trouble just because of sheer size."

I'm editing a documentary composed of 6,000 clips or 200 hr of 4K H264 material, equating to 8TB of original media and 5TB proxies. This will eventually be about 30% larger or about 18 terabytes peak and 260 hr of material. This is organized mostly in a single library composed of about 10 events. It is running on a top-spec 2017 iMac 27 and a 32TB RAID-0 Thunderbolt array (with identical backup), and performance and reliability is generally very good.

Having a single large library works well, at least on this hardware and up to this size. As you discovered, each library is a stand-alone entity and you cannot search or use database management across libraries.

Return to posts index

Andrew Mass
on Oct 29, 2017 at 10:09:43 pm

Thanks! Appreciate the help. I'll merge the libraries into one and work with events. It seems like that is the way this was intended to be done.

Andrew

Return to posts index

Larry Watts
on Jan 21, 2018 at 1:02:02 am

Andrew,
Where you able to merge libraries? If so, how did you do it?

I did not think it could be done.

THX Larry

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 21, 2018 at 3:11:41 pm

[Larry Watts] "Where you able to merge libraries? If so, how did you do it?"

There's isn't an automatic option to take two libraries and merge them, but you can copy items to and from libraries by other drag and dropping Events/Projects/Footage to other libraries, or select what you want to copy and use the File menu to move or copy the selected items to a different library by Choosing: File > Move Event to Library » or File > Copy Event to Library »

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Andrew Mass
on Jan 26, 2018 at 11:33:38 pm

Hi Larry -- I was able to do it and it worked out quite well. However it did rely on me knowing the material (and how it was organised) very well.

Basically, I started a new single library now using events in place of multiple libraries (and this time having it all link to an original media folder instead of copying everything).

Then I went into my old libraries and dragged the projects I wanted to the new library and within the proper event. I believe I may have had to fiddle with some of the clips to make a proper link to my original media folder.

That's pretty much it. It's much better organized (and easier to work with) now and I avoided duplicating files so it's about half the size as well. Of course everything was backed up and stayed that way until I was convinced everything was working.

Andrew

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]