FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corrupt SD cards: a question and some feedback.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rikki Blow
Corrupt SD cards: a question and some feedback.
on Oct 27, 2017 at 2:31:32 pm
Last Edited By Rikki Blow on Oct 27, 2017 at 2:31:54 pm

After coming across a few corrupted files when importing to FCPX from my SD cards, I got to wondering what external influences might cause problems.

So first question is - would they be prone to corrupt if they come near magnets?

If so, I may have found a potential cause that I'd like to bring to everyone's attention. I have a recent Touchy MacBook Pro. The other day, I noticed that a USB stick I'd put down on the laptop to the left of the trackpad was sticking up at a gravity-defying angle. I realised the metal connector was being pulled down onto the laptop, and soon discovered there's a VERY strong magnet near the edge, (and a similar one on the right too). These are possibly loudspeaker magnets (although they're more under the wrist area than under the speaker grills).

Anyway, the point is, I sometimes rest my SD cards on the laptop before or after ingesting - so could these magnets be causing havoc? If so, it might be worth everyone being mindful of this and spreading the word.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Corrupt SD cards: a question and some feedback.
on Oct 27, 2017 at 2:44:31 pm

Interesting theory about the speakers but as SD cards and flash drives do not store data magnetically they are generally not affected by magnetic fields especially the relatively weak ones in speakers. More details about this here-

http://www.machinedesign.com/blog/5-myths-surrounding-usb-flash-drives

In my experience data corruption in decent brand SD cards is rare and is more related to issues with the camera such as firmware that needs updating or a card that hasn't been reformatted in a while or corruption on the computer's internal or attached storage.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Rikki Blow
Re: Corrupt SD cards: a question and some feedback.
on Oct 27, 2017 at 4:25:35 pm

Ta for that Noah. I must at least remember not to put any of my archive DV tapes on the laptop.
:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]