FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K in a 1080p project?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Watts
4K in a 1080p project?
on Oct 26, 2017 at 3:07:23 pm

I have two questions:

1. I have a 1080 P project with most of the footage shot a 1080 x 1920 but have some interviews I need to intersperse which are 4K. (Both have the same frame rate)

The 4K will be great to do pans and zooms. Will they behave on the timeline okay?

Or should I do the pans and zooms in another project and transcode them to 1080p and then insert them?

2. I received one set of footage shot at 24p when most was shot at 30p. What will happen to the 24p footage in a 30p project timeline? I know I don't want to use the conform feature.

Should I transcode it to 30p and then import it?

Thanks!

Larry

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 4K in a 1080p project?
on Oct 26, 2017 at 4:06:35 pm

4K is fine in 1080p projects. FCPX will scale it to fit by default.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Oct 26, 2017 at 8:13:14 pm

[Larry Watts] " footage shot a 1080 x 1920 but have some interviews I need to intersperse which are 4K. (Both have the same frame rate)....The 4K will be great to do pans and zooms. Will they behave on the timeline okay?"

In a 1080 timeline the 4k clip resolution will be used for pan/zoom, and if you export to 1080 the underlying 4k resolution will be visible. IOW if you scale a 4k clip 200% in a 1080 timeline, even though you may not see the 4k resolution in the viewer, when you export it the resolution will be there. It will look just like it was shot at 1080 and not scaled. To avoid zooming in too far and losing resolution you keep track of the scale factor as shown in the Inspector. 200% is the limit for UHD 4k to 1080. If you are exporting 4k to 720 the limit is 300%.

The problem with intermixing H264 1080p and 4k is sometimes proxies are required to obtain good performance on 4k. Proxy of 4k is 1080, so plenty of resolution for editing decisions. But proxy of 1080p is only 960x540, so it's somewhat rough.

Since the FCPX proxy mode is a global switch, you can't view the 1080 clips at full res and the 4k as proxy in a mixed configuration. One solution is to transcode the 4k to optimized ProRes but that can take a lot of space. But with mixed 1080/4k media that would provide better editing performance for the 4k clips while staying out of proxy mode and show the 1080 clips at full res for better editing decisions.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 27, 2017 at 12:27:34 am

If you go to Proxy in a 1080p timeline everything should look solid enough for cutting whether it's 1080p or 4K to begin with. I personally wouldn't go messing around with making my own proxies- more headaches for not much visual gain.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Oct 26, 2017 at 8:34:17 pm

4k in any resolution timeline isn’t an issue for FCPX. The same is also true for 24p footage in a 30p timeline. Final Cut will pad put the 24p footage to play correctly.

However, if you’re editing for broadcast, I have had networks reject material because they didn’t like the way FCPX handled the frame rate conversion - nothing wrong with it visually, it just didn’t pass their technical scrutiny. As a result, for broadcast I usually use something like the free JES Deinterlacer to do the frame rate conversion outside of FCPX before import.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]