FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX 10.3.4 Crashing since I updated to Sierra 10.12.6 OS on a MacBook Pro w Touchbar

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Davis
FCPX 10.3.4 Crashing since I updated to Sierra 10.12.6 OS on a MacBook Pro w Touchbar
on Oct 18, 2017 at 12:26:03 am

I'm working on a MacBook Pro with Touchbar and a G-Tech Thunderbolt Raid (2014) editing UHD 8-bit 4k footage from Panasonic GH4s and GH5s.

I'm new to FCPX so I went thru several online tutorials - most of which seem to recommend the "leave files in place" option when importing media.

I can import the 4k clips without the system crashing, but the transcoding to create proxy files to work with (ProRes LT) crashes the MacBook every time.

My earlier attempts (prior to installing the OS update to Sierra 10.12.6) didn't crash, but I was working with smaller files at that time.

Curious to hear if anyone else has had an OS update crashing issue? Or am I misunderstanding the 4k workflow with FCPX?

MacBook Pro (2017) Specs
Processor 2.9 Quadcore Intel Core i7
Memory. 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
Graphics Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB VRAM
Flash Storage 512GB PCIe-based SSD
Thunderbolt 3 ports

G-Raid Thunderbolt 2 8TB
Set as Raid 0 (non-redundant) for editing

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: FCPX 10.3.4 Crashing since I updated to Sierra 10.12.6 OS on a MacBook Pro w Touchbar
on Oct 18, 2017 at 12:45:20 am

Leave files in place is generally a good idea and it works fine on the 8-bit 4k GH4 and GH5 codecs. Proxy is usually needed for best editing performance, so you're doing the right thing.

I have edited large amounts of 8-bit 4k content from the GH4 and GH5 and transcoded to proxy w/o any problem, including macOS 10.12.6. I've used the 2013, 2015 and 2017 iMac 27 and the 2016 MacBook Pro, plus 8TB and 16TB versions of the Thunderbolt G-RAID.

By default the proxies are created inside the library which also by default may be in your Movies folder. Is it possible your'e just running out of disk space as those proxies are added to the library and it's destabilizing the operating system? If your main library is on your system drive you can just copy it to the G-RAID. Ideally you might want the I/O on a separate drive but it's an easy troubleshooting step.

Just remember to switch the viewer from proxy back to optimized/original before you export, else the file will be at proxy resolution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]