FORUMS: list search recent posts

MP4's from JVC GY650-HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Watts
MP4's from JVC GY650-HD
on Oct 17, 2017 at 7:19:15 pm

So far in my few months on FCPX I have not run into trouble importing anything.
2017 iMac on Sierra

Until now.

I have a ton of footage the client shot on a JVC GY650 as MP4's. Of course, they won't import into FCPX in anyway I have discovered as of yet. In fact, they won't even play in the QT player. My searches for conversion solutions has not found anything I can use on Sierra yet.

Any ideas? Much thanks..

John Watts

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: MP4's from JVC GY650-HD
on Oct 17, 2017 at 9:01:42 pm

Typically the camera maker offers a transcoder/plugin for FCPX on their support page if it's a recent camera.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Oct 17, 2017 at 10:41:11 pm
Last Edited By Doug Metz on Oct 17, 2017 at 10:46:22 pm

Hey John,

Did you get to try importing from the camera card, or did someone pull the mp4s and toss 'em loose in a folder?
*EDIT* - Those may be MPEG2 encoded. See if you can open one with VideoSpec to see what you've actually got.

EditReady may be able to re-wrap or transcode those for you regardless... very handy tool.

Camera downloads page:
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/software_dow.jsp?model_id=MDL102154&feat...

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

John Watts
on Oct 17, 2017 at 11:41:30 pm

They are about 2 1/2 years worth of footage transferred to a rugged Lacie Drive. It appears he tried to keep the file structure in tact. So far, all of the apps I find are for FCP7. Still trying to find something for FCPX on Sierra.

John Watts

Return to posts index

John Watts
on Oct 18, 2017 at 12:00:45 am

There is an old 2009 log and transfer plug in for fcp7, and there is something called clip manager (which i downloaded and seems to suck)
Gotta believe there is a way to do this without manually converting sh**tons of clips for days. So, trying to avoid 3rd party apps, if possible. Just can't find anything current by JVC.
Decades in the business and really feeling like a newbie!

John Watts

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Oct 18, 2017 at 2:03:28 pm

[John Watts] "There is an old 2009 log and transfer plug in for fcp7, and there is something called clip manager (which i downloaded and seems to suck)"

My experience with camera maker's tools has been similar to yours. There are exceptions, of course...

[John Watts] "Gotta believe there is a way to do this without manually converting sh**tons of clips for days. So, trying to avoid 3rd party apps, if possible. Just can't find anything current by JVC. "

If they're actually MPEG2, you won't have a choice. But if it's some odd flavor of mp4, they may just need re-wrapping, which EditReady excels at. Have you tried throwing a few clips at Compressor to see if it recognizes the format?

Also, VideoSpec will help - not developed anymore, but still works great (for now):
http://videospec.free.fr/english/

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]