FORUMS: list search recent posts

Markers - Multiclips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thanos Papadopoulos
Markers - Multiclips
on Oct 12, 2017 at 9:00:37 pm

Dear all,
I'll describe my need and I would like to hear any suggestions.
I have a few multiclips with interviews, I want to put some markers with topics of the speech. Then going to whichever marker I want put in-out and put it in my edit. Also I would like to see my used areas.

I did my tests and I noticed that
working in the timeline
Plus
1. It seems better in the beginning because when you put markers you can rename the markers or make notes without stopping playback. Which is really nice especially when you are working with a director (I love fcp x when I work without pause and the director or the producer has what he needs almost without noticing when I did it). In the browser I can't do it.
2. The index helps a lot. You can scroll or search to find the right topic-marker.
Minus
1. You don't know the used areas. There are a few manual ways but it's not that helpful especially when you copy paste a part of the clip but then you delete another part of it or you want to add a few more seconds or minutes. Then you are not sure what is been used.
2. If you have 2 or more timelines you have to switch over them too often and if you are in the same timeline you go back and front and it gets complicated as time pass.

So I think that minus are more important and I think I'll try the browser by filtering the markers to find my topics.

Although the best would be a combination. Make your notes in timeline and then work in your browser to be able to see your used areas etc. But is there a way to see in browser the markers that you put in your timeline? If I could see my sequence in the event viewer with sequence markers (like fcp 7) that would be possible. But you can't. Also if I could make a compound clip instead of sequence and see the markers in the browser that would be also nice but you can't.

So do you have any suggestions?

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

Diego Barraza
Re: Markers - Multiclips
on Oct 12, 2017 at 10:15:48 pm

Hi Thanos, when I edit long interviews I usually lay the whole uncut interview in a timeline. Export the audio and get a time-stamped transcription of the whole interview. I can then mark selections on the paper and find them easily on the timeline. This gives the advantage that I can search for specific words in the text with a "find" command and have a time reference of where to find it in my interview timeline. Any selection I place on my edit I copy the clip from my interview timeline without removing the clip, but I black it out with V command to know that I have already used it in my edit. I can also annotate with markers and navigate the interview that way.

Hope this helps you.

Diego Barraza
SaGuarda Studios Ltd.
Sussex, UK

Return to posts index

Thanos Papadopoulos
Re: Markers - Multiclips
on Oct 12, 2017 at 10:36:15 pm

Hi Diego,
Let's say that the interview is 2 hours and your first cut is 50 minutes. If you don't have any markers and you want to find a specific subject of the speech in your edit sequence, since you have cut it down and lost the timecode reference with your transcription it will be difficult.
Also if you take a two minutes area, make it disable and later in your edit make this area half then you will be lost.

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]