FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 10.3.4 Audio Edits Will Be Lost

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sherril Schlesinger
FCP 10.3.4 Audio Edits Will Be Lost
on Oct 7, 2017 at 1:21:15 am

Hi All,

I am helping out on a doc that's gone through too many editors and assistants to count and am trying to figure out some of their sound issues.

It seems that one of the previous editors assigned all of the .wav audio as STEREO when they sunc up the external audio with the result that the lav and boom tracks are now mixed. I would like to go into the compound clips on those instances and change the setting to DUAL MONO but I get the following warning:

The operation you are performing modifies roles.
Edits on affected role components throughout library "LIBRARY" will be lost.

If I CONTINUE with this option will I LOSE the actual edits in the Project or only the AUDIO adjustments.
This is a film that is almost locked after many years of editing so I don't want to lose all of the edits....but I don't care about audio adjustments.

Can anyone advise?
Many thanks,
Sherril

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP 10.3.4 Audio Edits Will Be Lost
on Oct 7, 2017 at 1:58:39 am

I honestly have no idea what would happen, but why not dupe the library and see what happens on a copy?

Return to posts index

Thanos Papadopoulos
on Oct 7, 2017 at 12:39:42 pm

I am not sure but I remember a year a go I had the same issue. I think it has nothing to do with edits only with adjustments that have been added on both audio channels.
Anyway make a snapshot of your sequence and make the changes to your original sequence.

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

Sherril Schlesinger
on Oct 7, 2017 at 5:45:25 pm

Hi Thanos,

Thanks for the response.....problem is the error message says it will change edits throughout the "library".....so duping the project may not be enough precaution.

When/if I find the solution I'll let y'all know.

Thanks!

p.s. I love your "fix it in pre" tagline!!

Return to posts index

Thanos Papadopoulos
on Oct 7, 2017 at 6:42:49 pm

Hi Sherril I am out for shooting so I can't confirm my saying but I have done it before and I had no problem with the edits. Although I lost my mix (compressor and overall levels).
But don't be afraid of the consequences because there are many precautions that you can take. Export an xml of your sequence. Import it in another library and make a test. Your original library with your original seq there is no way that will be affected.

Ps.
Thanks for your comment.

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

Sherril Schlesinger
on Oct 7, 2017 at 6:48:05 pm

Ok great - thanks Thanos!

I'll be back there next week and will try that.

Return to posts index

Sherril Schlesinger
on Oct 7, 2017 at 5:42:03 pm

Hey Jeremy,

That's a great suggestion and would have been my first choice but it's an over bloated library, years in the making, that's had many hands on it and was migrated from 7. It is now days away from a mix for a screening coming up really soon. I was hoping someone had done it before and would just say - "yeah, go ahead, nothing other than volumes will be affected!!!" 😊

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 8, 2017 at 12:29:36 am

Is the media in the library?

Return to posts index

Sherril Schlesinger
on Oct 8, 2017 at 2:03:32 am

Yes! Most of the media is inside the library, though I suspect not all of it. Like I said, it's been through many hands over several years, originating on Legacy 7. It's large - close to a TB. Not how I would have set it up but I've just come on to get them to the mix!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 8, 2017 at 1:15:20 pm

You could consolidate the media out of the library and then it will be easier to duplicate.

Perhaps you could take those stereo files and pan center? That might be a workaround instead of switching to dual mono.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 8, 2017 at 2:00:24 pm

I read the error message as edits meaning changes to the roles components, not edits to the temporal clips like trims and such. If you’ve added roles to the guts of compounds and now youre breaking apart the audio into mono, then you’re going to lose those role designations across the library anywhere those compounds are used. But in any case if your mix was based on stereo clips and you make them mono or pan to center, you’re going to have remix to some extent. Best to dupe the library and give it a shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]