FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unused media

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thanos Papadopoulos
Unused media
on Oct 1, 2017 at 7:20:27 pm

I would like your thoughts on this matter.

What's the point of unused media filter since most of the time you don't use all the duration? For example I have 20 or more music tracks for an episode and while using these tracks I want to know which are unused. But all the clips seems to be unused since I am not using all the clip. Perhaps you can guess which are used from the duration etc but I mean to know with a single glance.

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Unused media
on Oct 1, 2017 at 8:03:33 pm

I use it to confirm usage of all video clips in a montage. But as with most NLE features if you don't need it for your workflow it does no harm by being there. Don't forget you can also show used ranges for specific clips in the browser.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Oct 2, 2017 at 11:12:11 am

[Thanos Papadopoulos] "What's the point of unused media filter since most of the time you don't use all the duration? For example I have 20 or more music tracks for an episode and while using these tracks I want to know which are unused. But all the clips seems to be unused since I am not using all the clip. "

The key is it's unused media *ranges*, not unused clips. Unused media ranges is normally used in conjunction with other filtering. In most cases you'd never use all recorded media in a project, hence showing unused media ranges for unfiltered content has limited practical use.

Normally you'd rate & keyword the material and subsequently do all content selection from a filtered version of that. IOW after you reject material you don't want to see that. After you keyword and rate material you normally use only that subset for building the timeline. In that scenario, unused media ranges shows you the unused portion of that filtered group of candidate ranges.

There is an exception whereby you simply want to avoid using a clip range twice -- regardless of how it's rated or keyworded. Say you're looking for b-roll to cover a cut in a long program, and you have already used many clip ranges to cover various cuts. To avoid redundantly using the same clip, you can filter on unused media ranges with all other filtering turned off. Anything that remains has not been used and is a candidate.

However you are talking about a special case where you want each entire clip containing a used range to be classified as used -- even though it's not marked as used -- only a range within the clip is used. In that case you'd have to manually mark those via a keyword then use a filter to exclude them. Here is one possible way:

(1) Assemble timeline as usual.
(2) When you reach the point of needing to check which audio clips are used, click each one in the timeline, match the source clip via SHIFT+H, press X to mark the entire clip then keyword that with "MyUsed" or equivalent. This can be done rapidly using the keyword HUD and a shortcut key. The principle is shown in this MacBreak Studio "Warp Speed Keywording":

(3) Create a smart collection which excludes the clips containing a range you've used: CMD+F, press plus key, select "keywords", select "Does Not Include Any" and select the checkbox for your MyUsed keyword. This can also be filtered by Media Type = audio. Save that as a smart collection, then it's available for future use.

Return to posts index

Thanos Papadopoulos
on Oct 2, 2017 at 4:34:38 pm

Thanks Noah and Joe quite useful your replies.
The truth is I have been working a few years with fcp x I have read 3 books (for three different versions of fcpx) I have watched so many videos and tutorials and I keep on learning different methods of working and accelerating my workflow.
And I think that's only the beginning of fcp x ;)

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]