FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: Duplicate or Snapshot

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andy Neil
Re: Duplicate or Snapshot
on Sep 29, 2017 at 7:51:11 pm

[Greg Ball] "So in my case, would just duplicate a Snapshot so I can keep the original, then just label the Snapshot as Version 2?
"

That would not help you. The snapshot should be v1, and then you continue with your main project as v2. Think of the snapshot as a...picture. You don't want anything to change in v1 in case you need to go back.

[Greg Ball] "I really don't see any point in duplicating a project when everything I change in the duplicated project will be reflected in the original. Thoughts?"

You're missing a key element in understanding the difference I think. Things you change in the duplicate sequence DO NOT CHANGE the original sequence. A duplicate sequence works like a duplicate file in almost any other program.

What we're talking about, and why you have the option of the snapshot in the first place, is because multiclips and compound clips are special little animals. Changes to a master multiclip in the BROWSER (not inside a timeline) will ripple into any sequence that you edited it into.

Maybe think of it like a river with a fork in it. If you add red dye in the river before the fork, you end up with two red streams. But if you add red to one stream after the fork, you only have one red stream. Does that make sense?

Regardless, if you don't have multiclips or compounds in your work, you can safely use duplicates, although there's no reason you CAN'T use the snapshot feature. Just make sure that your snapshot is labeled as your older version. That's how changes remain frozen.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]