FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting 60/30p to 25p

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Waugh
Converting 60/30p to 25p
on Sep 28, 2017 at 12:14:32 am

I've been doing a bit of research today into frame rate conversion, and whilst there are millions of threads, they're also seems tone a million different ways to do it 😉

I'm in PAL land and shoot almost everything in 25 or 50p. I have a small job today where I need to include a heap of footage that's come from an iPhone 8 shot at 60p. On a side note - the iPhone 8 footage looks pretty good IMO!

I just don't know which is best practice. I could use EditReady to do a frame rate conversion (I need to convert from H265 anyway) or simply adjust speed from 60 to 25 in my timeline (x0.42) or I guess a number of other ways (Compressor etc.) What actually is the best way to convert framerates?

Not that I'll be shooting a lot on an iPhone, but I just got one myself today, and obviously I can't shoot 25/50 standard in the camera app. I do notice however that my MoviePro app can be set to PAL. Would that be better in the or does something like EditReady do a better frame rate adjustment. I assume apps like MoviePro are simply doing a conversion rather than adjusting the actual camera settings... although I hope I am wrong.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Converting 60/30p to 25p
on Sep 28, 2017 at 2:32:36 am

If it’s not for broadcast, then just letting FCPX DP the conversion by just dropping the footage into a 25p timeline works fine but it isn’t always technically correct. Where it needs to be done well, I have used JES Deinterlacer which does a standards conversion that has passed even the most stringent broadcast QA people.

As to the iPhone, the better apps like Filmic Pro, etc are genuinely shooting 25p - even in log should you need it.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

David Waugh
on Sep 28, 2017 at 10:33:41 am

Thanks Jeff - much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
on Sep 28, 2017 at 12:48:07 pm

Depending on the final output destination, frame rate conversion is never good. Either dropped frames from 29.97 or blended frames (via hardware based standards conversion) will arise from any frame rate conversion. Other problem from blended frames process is ghosting artifact. The question is how tolerable the platform is. Many providers allow small section of the entire program only. Others absolutely have to be all in native frame rate.

Return to posts index

David Waugh
on Sep 28, 2017 at 9:10:55 pm

Thank you Sam. Understand. In this case it's probably OK because it's just web delivery but I will ensure I shoot 25p using FilmicPro if I do any filming on the iPhone myself. I think they are releasing a new version for Filmic to support H265 soon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]