FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recovering Files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Davis
Recovering Files
on Sep 26, 2017 at 3:21:17 am

I need some help.
I had recently just filmed a show and a wedding. I imported them off of the SD card through final cut pro and ejected the disk. The files were completely imported into their own events with specific names. There were no messages that the import had failed or anything of that sort. I was able to view the videos on FCP and they were definitely imported. I left the application open for a day too so that is could automatically back up. Meanwhile with the SD card, I put it back into my camera and formatted it so that I could have a clear card to film some more with it. In the next day or two, I came back to FCP to import my new files and was selecting files to import. I noticed that there were the same wedding videos from several days ago which was weird because I had formatted the whole card. I imported my new files anyways into a new event and for some reason, the program quit responding so I force quit it. Then I went to import again and saw the old wedding videos and stuff was completely gone from SD card now and also the library in FCP. I couldn't find a single thing. And now if I try to use the same event names as the old videos that disappeared, It will not let me because they are "still in use" even though there is no trace of the events or files. I really need to recover these if possible. I have a 1TB Seagate backup drive that automatically backs up to my computer continuously. It backed up several times before the videos went missing. I have dug through a good amount of that under FCP and haven't found anything. Please, any help is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
Re: Recovering Files
on Sep 26, 2017 at 7:23:49 pm

[David Davis] "I imported them off of the SD card through final cut pro and ejected the disk. The files were completely imported into their own events with specific names. There were no messages that the import had failed or anything of that sort. I was able to view the videos on FCP and they were definitely imported. I left the application open for a day too so that is could automatically back up. Meanwhile with the SD card, I put it back into my camera and formatted it so that I could have a clear card to film some more with it."

Couple of questions:
- How long after import did you eject the SD card?
- Was the SD card still mounted when you verified that they imported?

I think maybe your video clips were not yet fully copied when you unmounted the card and reformatted it... as a rule, always make a copy/archive of the entire card before importing and reformatting.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]