FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting a Panasonic AG-HPX250P connected to new Mac pro and pegasus 3 RAID to edit with FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Specht
Getting a Panasonic AG-HPX250P connected to new Mac pro and pegasus 3 RAID to edit with FCP
on Sep 16, 2017 at 6:54:31 am

I'm trying to connect the video cameras P2 cards to my new Mac pro that has thunderbolt 3 imputs so I can down load them for editing on Final Cut pro. Just connecting from the USB 2 port on the camera thru an adapter into the thunderbolt 3 port didn't seem to work. I tried downloading a P2 driver from the internet but it came up as a "formatter" that didn't do anything. Rather than continue stumbling around in the dark I was hoping someone could lay out for me what is needed? Do I need a reader? Theres a sonnet thunderbolt 2 P2 reader on amazon that someone said worked with a thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter. Or is there some P2 driver out in the internet that is recommended?

I've got the Promise R4 RAID working with my mac. If I can get the AG-HPX250P p2 footage to download I can get going. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The panasonic camera manual seems to me poorly written, and there is so much technical to this stuff it drives me crazy. I have enough on my plate trying to artistically wield the FCP software and other aspects effectively. Don't be afraid to "dumb it down" for me and don't leave anything out because you think it'd be too obvious.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Getting a Panasonic AG-HPX250P connected to new Mac pro and pegasus 3 RAID to edit with FCP
on Sep 16, 2017 at 2:46:46 pm

Mac Pro has USB- perhaps you meant MacBook Pro?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Greg Specht
Re: Getting a Panasonic AG-HPX250P connected to new Mac pro and pegasus 3 RAID to edit with FCP
on Sep 16, 2017 at 10:57:57 pm

Yes, I meant Mac book pro. Sorry, I didn't catch that.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Sep 16, 2017 at 3:21:29 pm

Assuming you have a 2016 or later MacBook Pro, in theory the Apple or other types of USB-A-to-USB-C adapters should work. However maybe there's a software or driver problem, or maybe the camera must be placed in a "drive emulator" mode so the card will show as mounted when the camera's plugged via USB 2.0 into the MBP's adapter.

This video shows copying camera data to a USB stick in the camera:

This video shows putting the camera in the correct mode to show the mounted drive on the computer:

If neither of those work you could try transferring the data to a Windows PC, then to the Mac via network or exFAT-formatted USB stick. If you'll need to be doing this frequently you should probably get some kind of P2 reader that works on your MBP. This USB 2.0 unit is only $134 on Adorama, but wouldn't be very fast (even if it worked): https://www.adorama.com/us%20%20%20%20853174.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwl_PNBRBcEiw...

The Sonnet single-slot Thunderbolt P2 reader might work, but I agree would be better if someone with a 2016 or later MBP could verify that: http://a.co/cXPV9zz

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Sep 17, 2017 at 6:25:55 pm

My experience with Panasonic P2 cameras as connected devices for downloading has been mixed. Its been some years, since I have used them, that said, they always worked for me as a card reader that I could connect to my computer and download a card. They were USB 2 and slow but reliable. If you can find a dedicated reader either TB or USB 3 that would be my first choice for handling media of this type. These would be much faster/ more efficient in every respect, the issue is price. The Panasonic readers were always pricey which is one reason I moved away from proprietary readers and media. The other side of the coin is that Panasonic P2 media has been rock solid - I have P2 cards that are 11 years old that still are reliable and work just fine.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for P2 media and the latest Panasonic codec plug in stalled and you should be good to go.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Sep 19, 2017 at 8:23:59 pm

The Sonnet reader works really well - transfer a full 64GB card in about 10 minutes. If you're going to be dumping P2 cards often, it'll pay for itself in saved time.

I've also kept one of my old PowerBooks with PCMCIA slot, which still reads and transfers perfectly, and is faster than anything Panasonic offers to boot.

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]