FORUMS: list search recent posts

Work flow with multicam, color correction and audio editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claude Lyneis
Work flow with multicam, color correction and audio editing
on Sep 16, 2017 at 3:55:16 am

I am working on a multicam edit of an interview with two cameras and two lavs. It is clear that the exposure levels of the two cameras were not well matched so at some point the lift, gamma and gain will need to be adjusted to make them match. In addition the audio has a fair amount of background and some of that could be rolled off or cleaned up. The first interview runs 15 minutes, but in the end will be cut down to no more than 1 minute. Should I just take the clips uncorrected, edit away on the multicam cuts and then do the color correction and clean up the audio afterwards?

I would seem tempting to do the gross color matching before all the cutting between the two cams, but since you can only color correct in a project and not on clips in the browser, is that even feasible.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Work flow with multicam, color correction and audio editing
on Sep 16, 2017 at 6:24:11 am

I will usually colour correct one of the cameras by applying the effect to the clip inside the Multicam editor.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 16, 2017 at 6:24:26 am

I'd do it on the final edit.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Kathy Murphy
on Sep 16, 2017 at 7:19:27 pm

I'd definitely do it before starting to cut.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Sep 16, 2017 at 10:55:01 pm

I have to test it out, but I think if I color correct at the beginning of the multicam edit, first with one camera selected and then with the other, those corrections stay with the clips as I cut from one to the other. That should save some time and provide a consistent starting point for some fine adjustments at the end of the edit. Normally, you can't color correct clips that reside in the browser.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Sep 16, 2017 at 11:43:39 pm

If you're talking about doing it in the timeline, your way will work but If you colour correct inside the multicam editor you can go back and make changes to the grade globally, even after the edit.

If you want to grade a clip in the browser, then right click and choose Open Clip. Apply the correction there. But if you go back and make a change, it won't ripple downstream to the timeline.

----

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 17, 2017 at 2:57:13 pm

[Jeff Kirkland] "If you want to grade a clip in the browser, then right click and choose Open Clip. Apply the correction there."

This is an important tip for everyone!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 18, 2017 at 9:23:08 am

Grading the entire take within the multicam assumes the image doesn't change much throughout the take- which can be true or not depending on your specific footage. So choose workflow accordingly.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Sep 18, 2017 at 4:48:19 pm

I agree. For this application, it is a static interview with fixed lighting. So it should save time to grade and color correct the clips from each camera before cutting between the two in multicam. Of course the other approach would be to cut everything, then select all the subclips from one camera, and apply a correction across all of them at once.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 18, 2017 at 2:51:54 pm

The important part was the warning that it doesn't ripple down to the timeline. :P

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Sep 18, 2017 at 9:02:14 pm

Any pre-timeline correction is going to be global just correcting any overall imbalance between the cameras.

The reasons I do that with clips inside the multicam editor is that a) it does ripple back to the timeline if I want to go back and modify it after I’ve started cutting and b) I have the multicam viewer available so I can see all the other clips for reference while I’m tweaking.

----

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]