FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choppy 4k video (on export)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antonis Ant
Choppy 4k video (on export)
on Aug 31, 2017 at 4:54:26 pm

Hi everyone.

I am shooting 4k video in d-log (Phantom 4) and the raw files play nice and smoothly.

After I complete the editing and export (tried various export settings), I notice that the motion of the video appears somehow choppy.

My computer and monitor can handle easily 4k playback so its not a hardware issue, especially since the raw files play smoothly.

I guess it has something to do with the encoding of the exported video? Are there any ways to prevent the "choppy" effect? Maybe via compressor?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Choppy 4k video (on export)
on Aug 31, 2017 at 10:08:44 pm

What are your export settings and system specs.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: Choppy 4k video (on export)
on Aug 31, 2017 at 10:59:35 pm

[Antonis Ant] "I am shooting 4k video in d-log (Phantom 4) and the raw files play nice and smoothly.

After I complete the editing and export (tried various export settings), I notice that the motion of the video appears somehow choppy.

My computer and monitor can handle easily 4k playback so its not a hardware issue, especially since the raw files play smoothly."

My doc team has several Phantom 4s and an Inspire 2, and I've edited lots of H264 4k content from them. I don't recollect seeing this problem when exporting to H264 from FCPX. We don't use D-LOG but I don't know why that would make a difference.

The Phantom 4 Pro H264 4k bit rate is about 60 mbps. The default FCPX H264 4k export bit rate is about 30 mbps, but that shouldn't cause this behavior.

You could try exporting to ProRes but that normally shouldn't be necessary. However it would be a useful data point.

You could also try playing back with VLC vs Quicktime as another test.

I would also suggest creating a test project using the default settings and importing one Phantom 4 clip to that, then export to H264 4k. It's conceivable your project characteristics were somehow messed up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]