FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing in Ultra HD and re-linking HD version of the footage.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Devin Crane
Editing in Ultra HD and re-linking HD version of the footage.
on Aug 29, 2017 at 3:20:46 pm

I am looking to capture an HD SDR feed and a Ultra HD HDR feed from 3 separate studio cameras simultaneously (all with same TC source) and then edit in FCPX. Is there a way to edit in Ultra HD HDR then after I am done editing the program re-link the HD footage for an HD version of the program? I understand that I could export the Ultra HDR footage to HD but to my understanding there are some issues with the HDR to SDR conversion or is that incorrect.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Editing in Ultra HD and re-linking HD version of the footage.
on Aug 29, 2017 at 8:30:33 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Aug 29, 2017 at 9:03:49 pm

Other than switching from its own internally generated proxies to original media, FCPX can only re-link to clips that are an exact match (resolution, bit depth, audio channels, etc) for clips it thinks are missing.

I haven't had the opportunity to work with outputting HDR footage yet so I can't speak to any issues there may be with colour space conversion if you're letting FCPX convert from HDR to SDR, however I haven't heard of any issues either.

What are the specific problems you've heard about?

To be honest, if I were in that situation, I think I'd edit in FCPX and then move the project to Resolve to do the final grade and output . Even if you captured both versions at the same time and relinked to the alternate media in Resolve, I feel I'd still want to do a specific grade for each colour space rather than just a generic conversion.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 29, 2017 at 9:42:31 pm

Hard to say without knowing more about the specific workflow and how the HD was created but I can't imagine a realistic scenario where an HD downconvert from a 4K version will look inferior to a relink to an HD original. The 4K derived version should always have higher apparent visual quality if all is correctly exported.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 1, 2017 at 3:19:14 pm

[Noah Kadner] "but I can't imagine a realistic scenario where an HD downconvert from a 4K version will look inferior to a relink to an HD original. The 4K derived version should always have higher apparent visual quality if all is correctly exported."

Agreed. What are these alleged issues you're talking about?

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]