FORUMS: list search recent posts

L&J cuts/ audio tracks/mixer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Kendall
L&J cuts/ audio tracks/mixer
on Aug 23, 2017 at 7:18:46 pm

I want to perform L and J cuts in Final cut X. It is not as easy as it should be since the timeline does not keep tracks in place like other editors. Also How can I relink audio to video clip?

Is there a track mixer that I am not seeing. I know about adjusting volume per clip. I want to set db per track.

frustrating how I paid good money for the software and apple wants to over simplify there app so that pros and even people that have a pro mindset like myself have to get bogged down because there simplifying of things is just bewiddleing.

(O' ps. the color board just plain sux and there is no curves. )

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: L&J cuts/ audio tracks/mixer
on Aug 23, 2017 at 7:32:46 pm

Training is a great place to begin- I recommend Ripple.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 23, 2017 at 10:25:09 pm

There are some very good basic tutorials on their YouTube Channel

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Aug 24, 2017 at 2:08:29 pm

[Nathan Kendall] "Is there a track mixer that I am not seeing. I know about adjusting volume per clip. I want to set db per track.
"

I guess you missed the "no tracks" part of the description.

[Nathan Kendall] "rustrating how I paid good money for the software and apple wants to over simplify there app so that pros and even people that have a pro mindset like myself have to get bogged down because there simplifying of things is just bewiddleing.

(O' ps. the color board just plain sux and there is no curves. )"

Yeah, like the other folks said, Ripple, Lynda or YouTube would be a very good place for you to start. If you try to take previous technical knowledge and apply it to FCPX (which has a lot of new terms and new ways of doing old tasks) you will be as frustrated as your post sounds. Go

Scott Witthaus
Owner, 1708 Inc./Editorial
Managing Partner, Low Country Creative LLC
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 24, 2017 at 3:19:04 pm

[Nathan Kendall] "frustrating how I paid good money for the software and apple wants to over simplify there app so that pros and even people that have a pro mindset like myself have to get bogged down because there simplifying of things is just bewiddleing. "

It will be a lot less frustrating if you take the time to learn the software. It really isn’t “oversimplified” when you learn how to use it. You can also add in features like curves via 3rd party plugins, yes it costs more but it’s still cheaper than the subscription model.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Aug 25, 2017 at 1:46:16 am

[Nathan Kendall] "I want to perform L and J cuts in Final cut X. It is not as easy as it should be since the timeline does not keep tracks in place like other editors. Also How can I relink audio to video clip? "

No need to "Detach Audio" to begin with. To make L and J cuts hit Ctrl-S to show audio track and trim the audio separate from the video. Hit Ctrl-S to collapse it again.

The only tricky thing is in a Secondary storyline, you can't lead with audio. You have to put a blank clip in (Ctrl-W) at the beginning to be able to do this. But this is a specific circumstance.

--------------------------
Brett Sherman
One Man Band (If it's video related I'll do it!)
I work for an institution that probably does not want to be associated with my babblings here.

Return to posts index

Harlan Rumjahn
on Aug 27, 2017 at 11:49:26 pm

Other than curves, everything you said you want to do in FCPX can be done, and done easily. But, yes, I agree that you have to become familiar with some basics of FCPX to begin with. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be happy.

The "tracks" are kind of still there! If you add different clips of audio and give them different roles (you have to learn how to use roles, which is really easy, but maybe watch a short tutorial to get the idea) then those audio clips will be placed in their own tracks below the timeline. FCPX also gives you the ability to rearrange the orders of the different roles. So, for example, you can bring the music clips right up underneath the timeline if you're editing the music. Then if you want to edit dialogue, you can bring those dialogue clips right up beneath the timeline.

The color board does NOT suck, by the way. If you try to use it, understanding the basics of color, then you will see it is pretty powerful. Contrast can be adjusted by using the exposure menu, and you can even adjust the midpoint of the contrast by using the gamma slider (out of the three sliders/circles under the exposure tab).

I hope this helps you to not lose faith. You'll be happy if you stick with it and try to learn.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]