FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best recording format for FCPX from Lumix GH5

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Veitch
Best recording format for FCPX from Lumix GH5
on Aug 19, 2017 at 12:39:48 pm

Just got a Panasonic GH5 and, it being my first mirrorless camera, I'm very excited about it. I'm mainly using it for video.

I'm wondering what the best format to record 4k is for FCPX.
I used MP4 (LCPM) and FCP had a hard time playing it back before I optimised it.
What does it do when it optimises it?

I'm now thinking the best option would be MOV, right?

Is it too much to assume my Mac (below) will play and edit 4k smoothly from the ssd?

13inch Touchbar MBP
3.1Ghz i5
Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB

Thanks for help!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Best recording format for FCPX from Lumix GH5
on Aug 19, 2017 at 2:48:37 pm

[James Veitch] "Is it too much to assume my Mac (below) will play and edit 4k smoothly from the ssd?
"

Probably, that's a very low spec Mac for playing back compressed 4K, probably best to use a proxy workflow.

Return to posts index

James Veitch
on Aug 19, 2017 at 3:12:28 pm

Fair enough. I'll use that then. But would you say a .mov file is going to put less pressure on the Mac than an mp4 file?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 19, 2017 at 3:32:56 pm

[James Veitch] "Fair enough. I'll use that then. But would you say a .mov file is going to put less pressure on the Mac than an mp4 file?
"

.mov is only a container, if the compression is still mp4 then it won't help, however I don't have enough experience with the camera to be definitive. I've got a top spec 2015 i7 Macbook Pro and I still use Proxy most of the time when editing any 4K just because it's much less compute intensive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]